Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Adviced needed about N2 tank

Hello Everyone,
I recently purchased a kegerator that came with a bunch of stuff and among that stuff was a OLD hi-pressure steel N2 tank that was last hydrostatic tested in the 1992. I checked the marking ID that was punched into the tank and found out that this tank had a hydrostatic service life of 10 years and the 1st time it was hydrostatic tested was in 1986, and the second was in 1992. I wanted to know if this tank is still a viable tank. I wanted to know what my options are right now. I was told by another member that i should probably get a cylinder swap/exchange. I want to know what other board members would do.

You’ll have to get it tested again in order to have it filled, but unless it’s been damaged there’s no reason to think it wouldn’t still be usable.

Thanks at10t2 i appreciate your advice but i should have also mentioned it has no significant damage other than being old and having surface rust. The previous owners told me that they have never used the n2 tank for anything and it has always been empty since they got it. i mean logically the tank should be perfectly fine since it didnt have any stress or pressure for years. I should have included a picture so here it is, its on the left. Honestly i hope i can reuse it, i’d hate to have to scrap something that looks perfectly fine.

Don’t know where you live but in Minneapolis the place I have mine tested and refilled also will refurbish the out side for a few dollars more makes them look new again. They clean off all the paint and rust polish and the repaint them.

You might want to check with the suppliers in your area to see if they can do the same thing other than that the test will tell you if it’s still good which I’m sure it is.

Mine looked worse that yours.

As someone who doesn’t use, or know a lot about using, nitrogen…I was under the impression that you used beergas, a combo of CO2 and nitrogen, not straight nitrogen. If you use straight nitrogen, doesn’t the beer lose carbonation?

You can also hook the two up to a special double regulator that lets you set your own CO2/N2 blend.

Ahhhh I see that I missed mentioning that I wanted to put beer gas in my N2 cylinder thank you for pointing that out for me Denny. I do not have a lot of experience on kegging/draft systems, but for my lack of experience I have been trying to make up with knowledge. I am aware that you are supposed to use a beer gas mixture instead of pure N2 i’ve read several threads regarding this issue. I just wanted to use my CO2 tank for force-carbing, serving lagers/ales, and my N2 tank for beer gas for my stouts. I am from Los Angeles County, California. I have found a gas supplier near my city, but they do not mention anything about refurbishing tanks.

You can also hook the two up to a special double regulator that lets you set your own CO2/N2 blend.[/quote]

Thanks for the edification, Sean.

You might see if a place in your area that does fire extinguishers might not do it they would also refill your CO2 tank.

+1. I don’t mess around with electrical or pressurized gas… leave that to the professionals.

[quote=“chuck”]Don’t know where you live but in Minneapolis the place I have mine tested and refilled also will refurbish the out side for a few dollars more makes them look new again. They clean off all the paint and rust polish and the repaint them.

You might want to check with the suppliers in your area to see if they can do the same thing other than that the test will tell you if it’s still good which I’m sure it is.

Mine looked worse that yours.[/quote]

Would you mind telling us where you had that done. I’m in the same boat right now and want to get set up before St. Paddy’s day.
Thanks

My local liquor store sends the tanks out to be recertified and filled for me.

I had a tank from my parents basement recertified and filled this summer that had not been touched and under pressure since about 1985… SO Im sure yours will be ok of there was no damage done to it.

The tank I (had) was last tested in 1980. It still had 400psi in it but it was pure nitrogen. I took it in to N.B. today and they said they couldn’t take it. That pure nitrogen was toxic and and they could only take a cylinder with the same gas ID sticker. That last part may be true but it certainly isn’t a toxic gas. I walked out of N.B. for the first time disappointed.
Then I drove over to Minneapolis oxygen(the tank had a mpls oxy sticker) and they swapped it out no problem. Even though it was out of date by 22years. They told me there is nothing toxic about nitrogen. It’s the same gas that beergas is mixed with(exactly as I assumed) Total cost was $22 and change.
Anyway, now I’m almost all set. I Have a full tank of gas, the regulator and a nitro faucet on the way.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com