Advice on Partial Mash Brewing

Greetings,I am Brand New to the forum ( 1st post). It has been about 12 years since I have done any Brewing & recently completed two batches of extract Ales. Looking for advice on taking the next step into partial mash brew, How involved is it & how much equipment is needed?? Thanks & Happy Brewing

Depends on the volume you are mashing. There are many ways to do it, from BIAB (literally putting crushed grains in a mesh bag and mashing in your kettle), cooler mash tuns, etc. Any way you can soak the grain with hot water for a while, then drain off, can work. I will say, it’s not much more to go full all grain. For something similar to my setup, look at dennybrew.com (coolers/batch sparge). Search for BIAB for that method… I’ve never done it, but people swear it’s super easy and makes delicious beer. Are you going to be doing 5 gallon batches, or something smaller?

Realistically, I would like to try a 3 gallon Batch of a basic Light/Blonde ale for learning purpose’s

A helpful tool here:

Has a volume calculator. A generous 7 pound grain bill, at 1.25 qts per pound can be mashed in a 3 gallon container. If you already have a kettle that big, a paint strainer bag can get you a BIAB setup.

1 Like

Thanks, I do have a kettle with that Capacity & thanks for the resources

Just my opinion here. Partial Mashing is all the work of All Grain, and also has the negative aspects of extract. I’d recommend Just going BIAB.

I typically brew 3-gallon all grain batches. I mash in a bag in a cooler with plenty of room. I’m not sure how small you can go, but it looks like @uberculture covered that. For the boil, I use a 20-quart pot. I start the boil with about 4 gallons; the threat of boil-over is pretty scary at the start, but it gets the job done.

Our host has a VERY small selection of kits at the 3-gallon size. My favorites are the Dead Ringer, De Belge, and Kölsch, I’m that order, YMMV.

Gotcha’ I have access to fresh Hops, two varieties, small batch to learn all grain worth considering , Thanks !