Adding wine to beer

I have a kettle sour saison sitting on some cherries now and would like to give it a dose of wine soaked oak when I keg it. Anyone have experience doing this? It’s a 3 gallon batch and I’m thinking the 750l with an oz of chips.

I typically add about 2 oz of white wine (usually chardonnay) to my saison in the glass. Works beautifully. I think what you’re doing is a great idea. Are you going to dump the entire 750ml in? That’s what
i’d do. I know you’ve sort of chronicled this in another thread, but if it turns out(and I’m sure it will), I’d be extremely interested in a recap of the whole process. Best of luck!

Cheers,

Ron

I think I will dump it in. Your saison glass would be what 8-10 oz. That would be about 4 or 5 to one. If I used the whole bottle of Pinot noir which would be 12 / 1 so it won’t be to much but it’s a start. I’m going to layer in some oak soaked in the wine first.

I’ve found that in this case, the more oak the better. and yes, my mix is probably around 5/1. But if you’re using a pinot noir, I think you’ll get a definite impact even at 12/1. This is sounding better and better.

Cheers,

Ron

I haven’t used red wine (yet), but I’ve used a 750 of white wine in a saison and found myself wanting more. I think a red would be more assertive, but I think it’s a great idea. I’ll be bottling a flanders red soon, and was thinking of adding a really dry, tannin-y (is that a word?) Bordeaux to it.

Yes

1 Like

Ditto.