Adding Peppermint to NB Chocolate Milk Stout

I’m hoping to make a chocolate peppermint stout for Christmas. Would NB’s Chocolate Milk Stout kit be a good base?

What would be the best thing to use to get a peppermint flavor? How much? When does it need added?

Thanks in advance

I can’t give you recipe advice. But if you’d be intersted in trying something similar before deciding to make it, there’s one called Vernal Minthe Stout.

I find that milk stouts are generally a great base recipe for adjunct additions. I had a friend make a peppermint pattie stout with his milk stout recipe, then I did a raspberry chocolate addition for valentines day last year. Brew on.

Health food stores often sell peppermint oil. I’d expect it to be very volatile, meaning it will evaporate unless the beer is contained in a bottle or keg. Experiment with it by adding a drop or two to a sample until you get the intensity you want. Add it to the beer immediately before kegging or bottling.

Toast,
I’ve read in some other forums where mint leaves were added near the end of the boil (maybe 1/2 ounce fresh in 5 gallons) in a milk stout. And then some others who used mint extract (i’m sure you could find peppermint extract or peppermint oil) and added to the bottling bucket. With either of these methods, I would use caution–mint can be very powerful. If you go the extract route, definitely start small and add to taste before bottling. Good luck. I am a huge fan of milk stouts, especially vanilla and chocolate. What you’re proposing sounds tasty.

Have you brewed it yet? Curious what you decided on. I brewed an imperial milk stout yesterday, and plan to add coffee, vanilla beans / cacao and peppermint to secondary. I bought some left hand milk stout, and was experimenting with peppermint extract ratios… . turns out for 8 ounces of beer, 1 teaspoon was kind of the sweet spot.

The thing is, when you do the math to up the ratio for 10 gallons of beer (my volume) it would mean adding 26.6 ounces of peppermint extract! That number scares me! Any input would be great!

-Roy

This post is 7 years old, just so you know

Ha! thanks… . didn’t see the year… :sweat_smile:

I know a professional brewer who made a girl scout cookie beer based on the the thin mint cookies. It was named sin mint and it was undrinkable and very undesirable to my palette. Just my 2 cents but I dont care for sweets overall