Adding lemon

Planning on an al grain wheat beer … I want to add lemon peel to the secondary fermentation … How much peel for a hint of lemon??

The only way to tell is by taste. You might try adding the zest of 2-3 lemons (buy a zester…peeling it with a knife will risk getting the white pith into your beer…or sauce, or whatever) in a muslin bag, santized. Pull a sample every few days and see if it has enough for you.

The other option is Ahantum (sp?) hops, I think. People say they get big lemon aromas/flavors from those.

Put a slice of lemon in Your beer after you pour it into the glass. Works every time.
Really as the other guy said, it’s trial and error. nobody knows what taste you ar looking for but you.

[quote=“pashusa”]Put a slice of lemon in Your beer after you pour it into the glass. Works every time.
[/quote]

Was that an intentional Billy D. Williams quote from his old Colt 45 TV spots? Either way, awesome.

Lemon at serving is a great idea and way the H simpler. Ahantum hops though too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pK5HmuCMBM

A little personal experience:
Last year did a cream ale and added zest and juice of one lemon in last 5 minutes boil. Yielded faint hint of lemon.
This year did the same recipe, but added zest and juice from 2 lemons. Much more prominent lemon.
And I use a vegetable peeler to get the zest. Works well getting the good stuff without the white pith.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“pashusa”] Works every time.
[/quote]

Was that an intentional Billy D. Williams quote from his old Colt 45 TV spots? Either way, awesome.

[/quote]
Naa. I’m just cool that way. :cheers:

I just added the zest from one large lemon to a dish with a small amount of vodka (to sanitize) and 2 grams of grains of paradise. Added that to the secondary and racked the beer on top. It smelled great but I haven’t tasted it yet. I went with one lemon because I wanted a hint. If it’s not enough, I’ll just add a lemon wedge when I tap it. Also, much better to add to secondary to keep some of the delicate flavor you want. Adding it to the brewpot burns off some of that flavor and the primary probably scrubs out a lot of the rest. Cheers.