Adding Fruit Juice to Beer

Has anyone ever used fruit juice to flavor a beer at kegging time? I brewed a pretty basic wheat today and I am going to add key lime juice to it to make it a key lime wheat. I am not squeezing a bunch of key limes, but using the bottle of juice that you can buy when you are in Florida. I’m unsure how much to add so I don’t over power it with lime. Looking for more of a starting point then adjust to taste after that. Thanks in advance!

Me did use orange juice. About a 1.5 liter. Fresh juice on 10 galon. Mild flav in the back if you take a zip of beer. Lemon juice. Dont know might be over power the beer. Start out small. Amount. Untill you a happy with the taste

Google shandy or radler

I put fruit juice in my tartshakes at kegging to avoid having to add lactose. I can not bottle when I do this because the fruit juice is fermentable and don’t want to make bottle bombs. I don’t know how much to add for your lime juice start out small. Do not bottle at all unless you are sure the juice you use is not fermentable.

1 Like

Very good point Mike… Even when kept cold… Adding fruit juice/ sugar, it will start to ferment again… albeit slow… These “additives” added to juice and such do keep the wild yeast’s from fermenting… but not a cultured yeast… How do I know? I’ve fermented many batches of Apple Joose straight from the jugs I bought at the store…
Sneezles61

I would look into buying crystalized Lime or lemons. It’s easier to figure out how much to use and because it contains no sugar you are not at risk of creating a second fermentation.
Get a beer similar to the one you are making and dose it until you like it. Then multiply that amount by the number of beers your are making to figure out how much crystalized lime/lemon to use for the whole batch.