Added my chips and bourbon to my stout

And it started foaming pretty heavily. I had to attach a blow-off tube. Did I just oxidate my beer? Really sweating it because I put a lot of time and love into this batch.

No some times adding things like this will cause CO2 to come out solution did you add it while it was still fermenting?

Its been fermenting for 12 days now, just racked it yesterday.

Sounds a litttle quick to secondary on the chips and booze.

According to some schools of thought, yes…however, I frequently rack off of primary considerably earlier than that with no ill effects (in fact, I personally like the finished beer better having done that). There’s more than enough yeast transferred to allow it to keep doing its job. You can keep it in primary longer, but you don’t need to. Just boils down to personal preference.

So don’t sweat it…maybe I would have added the chips and bourbon somewhat later in the process, but I doubt very much that you have oxidized your beer. If anything, the co2 release would indicate otherwise.
Your brew should be fine if your sanitation is all it should be.

how long is suggested for aging with the oak and bourbon.

I have an imperial breakfast stout that I was planning on bourbon oaking tonight.

2oz medium oak and 1 cup makers mark. I have read one to two weeks. Does this sound right?

thanks.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]how long is suggested for aging with the oak and bourbon.
I have an imperial breakfast stout that I was planning on bourbon oaking tonight.
2oz medium oak and 1 cup makers mark. I have read one to two weeks. Does this sound right?
thanks.[/quote]

That rate sounds pretty good to me (though I personally prefer to use less oak and allow more time, especially with a big beer).

Here again, there are no real rules. But since too much oak can ruin an otherwise good brew, it is always best to just keep tasting it until it achieves an oak presence that you can live with and which suits your own taste, then either bottle it (or, if you’re kegging, transfer it) to get it off of the oak.
Be sure to take good notes regarding quantities and time frames so if you hit on something brilliant you can repeat it if you want to.

thanks. Will give it a week then give a taste. Then if need be give it another week.

Personally I would oak for at least a month. But definitely taste periodically, when it’s “done” is entirely up to you.

Anyone here ever use toasted oak chips vs. plain oak chips? Any differences you did or didn’t care for?

I always use toasted. You’re not going to be gaining much in a beer from the use of untoasted chips.

I always use toasted. You’re not going to be gaining much in a beer from the use of untoasted chips.[/quote]

I’ve tried both, but the preference here as well is for the toasted (light or medium, specifically…and Hungarian Oak when I can obtain it).
Untoasted will add flavor, but not always a pleasant one, especially if overdone (particularly with American Oak). That’s strictly a personal opinion though.

YMMV: best to try both and see where your preference lies.

True. But, untoasted oak is typically used to expess a certain fruit character in wines since it contains more ellagic tannins, but fewer oak flavours.
Since he is trying to impart bourbon barrel flavors into the beer I’m not sure he is going to gain what he is looking for with untoasted chips.

In two more weeks I am looking to rack a NB Imperial Stout and add 4oz
of oak chips and 20oz of Markers mark and leave it sit in the secondary
for a month or two before bottleing. Do you think there is to much
going on in this beer to taste good?

I added 4 oz. untoasted and I’m taking them out of my beer after 7 days and then dry hopping.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“The Professor”]
Untoasted will add flavor, but not always a pleasant one, especially if overdone (particularly with American Oak). That’s strictly a personal opinion though.
[/quote]
True. But, untoasted oak is typically used to expess a certain fruit character in wines since it contains more ellagic tannins, but fewer oak flavours.
Since he is trying to impart bourbon barrel flavors into the beer I’m not sure he is going to gain what he is looking for with untoasted chips.
[/quote]

Good point…certainly can’t argue with that.
And it’s precisely why I also prefer toasted oak. But I do still prefer European oak varieties over American…though American can be ok if exposure time can be carefully monitored.

[quote=“The Professor”] Good point…certainly can’t argue with that.
And it’s precisely why I also prefer toasted oak. But I do still prefer European oak varieties over American…though American can be ok if exposure time can be carefully monitored.[/quote]
I completely agree.

Hey Fellas, where are you getting your oak? Can I use oak on Han that I use for smoking meats, providing its sanitized?

I purchase mine from my LHBS. Oak products are cheap. It is very important that it has been cured correctly and that it is the correct kind of oak.