ABV too high for sour dregs?

Is 9%ABV too much for some JP (la roja) dregs to handle? I pitched some into 1 gallon of belgian dark strong a couple weeks ago and they haven’t done anything yet. Should I make a small starter with the dregs when the abv is that high or should it be okay just pitching dregs? The JP was a good six months old so it wasn’t terribly fresh and I’ve got a few more bottles about the same age. Was going to try again this weekend but wondered if anyone else had experience using dregs to sour a beer this strong.

Thanks,

[quote=“pb905”]Is 9%ABV too much for some JP (la roja) dregs to handle? I pitched some into 1 gallon of belgian dark strong a couple weeks ago and they haven’t done anything yet. Should I make a small starter with the dregs when the abv is that high or should it be okay just pitching dregs? The JP was a good six months old so it wasn’t terribly fresh and I’ve got a few more bottles about the same age. Was going to try again this weekend but wondered if anyone else had experience using dregs to sour a beer this strong.

Thanks,[/quote]

RIght around 8 or 9 % is a rule of thumb for sours, although there are stronger sours than that… dump it in and see what happens. Biggest sour I have done is rolling along right now around 10 percent

what i recommend is making a little starter wort, cool it down, and grow up those dregs with unfermented wort, THEN add the dregs to the finished beer.

[quote=“pb905”]Is 9%ABV too much for some JP (la roja) dregs to handle? I pitched some into 1 gallon of belgian dark strong a couple weeks ago and they haven’t done anything yet. Should I make a small starter with the dregs when the abv is that high or should it be okay just pitching dregs? The JP was a good six months old so it wasn’t terribly fresh and I’ve got a few more bottles about the same age. Was going to try again this weekend but wondered if anyone else had experience using dregs to sour a beer this strong.

Thanks,[/quote]

that is fairly fresh for a sour beer and delivery and such, also a few weeks is nothing with a sour beer these are year long processes or more

a few weeks is nothing with a sour beer these are year long processes or more[/quote]

Understood, the issue is that it looks like all the yeast I threw in there is now just sitting at the bottom of the carboy so I’m wondering if it ever got started working…i’ll give it another pitch this weekend and see what happens…

Understood, the issue is that it looks like all the yeast I threw in there is now just sitting at the bottom of the carboy so I’m wondering if it ever got started working…i’ll give it another pitch this weekend and see what happens…[/quote]

your not going to see a huge krausen or anything. I would just pitch a couple other bottles of dregs in there and it should be fine