About Brewing lager for the 1# time

Hello I am going to brew a lager for the 1 time my ? is I hear that you can pitch cold meaning at 44F an let it rises to like 50 to 55F an hold it at that for like 2 to 3 weeks an go right into lagering without doing a Diacety rest at all… Now my ? is that true with all lagers if you picth at 44F with a large yeast starter .???

I would think it depends on the yeast. But yes, you can pitch cold. I’m not sure why you’d want to pitch below fermentation temps and then raise them a little. I usually just pitch my yeast at fermentation temperature. I’ve also read a few lager recipes that say pitch the yeast at 65-70F, wait for active fermentation, then drop the temp down to 50F. I did this with my Oktoberfest this past year and it came out fantastic. I did also lager it for 10weeks which I think had the biggest impact on it being such a smooth beer.

Most lager yeasts benefit from a d-rest though. So I would recommend doing one. What I usually do is let a lager ferment for 5-7days and take a gravity reading once active fermentation slows down. If it’s reached roughly 80% completion (very rough number) I slowly raise the temp 2-3degrees every day for anther 6-7days until it comes up to around 65F. Then I let it sit at 65 for a day or two before dropping the temp down to lager at about 35F.

That’s just how I do it and haven’t had any diacetyl problems in my first few lagers.

I pitch my starter at fermenting temperature, ~ 48-50°. I let it ferment for 7 days or so then gradually bring the temperature up to 65° for a D-rest and leave it until I hit my FG then keg and lager it. I’ve had pretty good results doing it this way. I used to leave it at fermenting temperature for 3 weeks and then bring it up but had issues with under attenuation.

It depends on the yeast and style of beer being brewed…just like ales. I always check either the WLP site or the Wyeast site for “truth”. Once i get experienced enough, with enough documentation of my own from my brews, I’ll stop going to them.

cheers

That is Jamil Z’s advice from the Brewing Network pod cast on Bock beers. He says there are fewer off flavors generated while the yeast are first multiplying if you pitch at a cooler temp than the ferment. So also less diacetyl to clean up with a warmer temp rest at the end of fermention.

I just bought my freezer and Ranco control yesterday. So, I will be doing my first lagers shortly. Bought stuff for German Pils, O’fest, and Dopplebock yesterday as well. You know what they say…Go big or go home. I’ll be anxious to hear all the pro’s and con’s of fermentation temp plans in this thread. Getting the yeast grown up for brewing next Friday.

One last mandatory item: PATIENCE!

Do not rush your lagers/yeast. time is your friend.

:cheers:

IME most lagers strain will produce little to no diacetyl given proper pitching rates and temperatures.

I tend to raise the temperature toward the end of fermentation anyway, just to speed things up.

I hold both the wort and yeast at fermentation temp overnight then oxygenate the wort and pitch the yeast the next day. Once fermentation is 75% complete I raise the temp 10 degrees and hold it until I reach my FG. Then I’ll drop it 3 degrees per day until I reach lagering temp.