ABC agents raid Birmingham store, take homebrew supplies

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/09/abc ... m_bee.html

Our freedoms being taken from us just a little at a time.

I thought it was illegal there anyways.

It is illegal and the guy probably didn’t do enough research, or grease enough palms, to ensure that he was on safe ground before opening. Interesting that they took the non-perishable stuff and left the raw ingredients, though - shows some planning went into the raid.

Its illegal to sell buckets and malt? He just needs to come up with an alternative like making malt extract for adding to milkshakes. Kind of like the essential oils use for stills.

Does stink though, we don’t have enough money to fund important things but we do have money to pay people to hassle small businesses.

This is amazing. Where else is brewing illegal?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/p ... nt-affairs

Besides Alabama
Delaware
Iowa
Kentucky
Mississippi
Ohio
Oklahoma

These states have laws that are ambiguous at best:

Louisiana
Maine
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York

Source: http://beerutopia.com/2008/04/17/is-hom … our-state/

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Its illegal to sell buckets and malt?[/quote]Same reason they’ll bust you for selling more than two packs of Sudafed, I guess - they figure if you cut off the basic materials then it’ll be harder to make illegal substances.

Besides Alabama
Delaware
Iowa
Kentucky
Mississippi
Ohio
Oklahoma

These states have laws that are ambiguous at best:

Louisiana
Maine
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
New York

Source: http://beerutopia.com/2008/04/17/is-hom … our-state/[/quote]

Pretty sure you’re wrong on a couple counts there. Oklahoma (where I used to live) legalized homebrewing as of 2010. Although you theoretically have to have a permit. And you can only brew “low point” <3.2 ABW beer. Having lived and brewed and supported homebrew stores there long before it was legalized though, I can tell you that no one was ever enforcing any anti homebrewing law.

New Hampshire (where I live now) quite unambiguously says homebrewing is legal for personal use, and can be transported to clubs and events as well.

Yeah, pretty much down to only Alabama and Mississippi now.

In Colorado, the Head of Household can brew 100 gallons a year or up to 200 if there are other adults there. Luckily SWMBO lets me be Head of the Household on brewday.

Home brewing is legal in Ohio as long as you don’t sell it. I think the 100 gallons a year rule applies

Legal in Massachusetts, the 100/200 gallon rule applies.

It is legal to brew in Iowa also…

As Tom said, Alabama and Mississippi are the only two states where homebrewing is illegal.

We should do something to fix this.

We should do something to fix this.[/quote]

The people in those states have been trying to fix it, with assistance from the AHA. Being a state issue, thew’s not much that those of us who don’t live the can do.

Unfortunately I live in this over-governed state !! The state of crapabama is so behind the times its almost hilarious. I live about 20 minutes from Hop City and was looking forward to actually having a LHBS close enought to buy fresh supplies , but of course now I can’t ( Thanks goodness for mail delivery). The raid that happened is just a prime example of undereducated politicians and the ridiculous prohibition era laws that still plague this state. What I can’t seem to understand is the fact that it’s ok to make homemade wine / cider here and sell supplies in this state , but yet you can’t ferment a little wort. Maybe if Hop City would of labeled all their supplies as “wine making” then this may of not of happened, but then again we are talking about a state that banned Founders brewing company from selling their “Dirty Bastard” ale here because of the word “Bastard” in the name.The water here is terribly hard too so It is just a $hitty overall place for homebrewing. I’m thankful for organizations such as Free The Hops and Right To brew that are working hard to get these ignorant laws changed.

Ahhh felt good to rant a little