A question of dryhopping

I’m about to brew an IPA recipe that will feature 3 oz of dryhops. The only thing that complicates things is that 1 oz will be whole leaf, since that’s the only type of Simcoe my lhbs had. Normally I dry hop in a secondary but hate trying to get leaf hops out of a carboy. My two solutions were to either ferment in a bucket and throw the hops in after primary fermentation is finished, or throw them in nylon and go straight to the keg.

I understand dry hopping on the yeast cake can be ineffecient, but overexposure in the keg can be detrimental to flavor. Should I go the keg route and fish out the hops after a week or so? In the interest of full disclosure it is 1 oz whole leaf Simcoe, 1 oz pellet Galaxy, and 1 oz pellet Cascade.

Any input would be great, thanks guys!

If i were you I’d do the pellets in the carboy and the leaf in the keg.
Keep the keg warm for a few days before chilling it. Don’t worry about overexposure. I’ve never seen it.

[quote=“Wahoo”]If i were you I’d do the pellets in the carboy and the leaf in the keg.
Keep the keg warm for a few days before chilling it. Don’t worry about overexposure. I’ve never seen it.[/quote]

+1

Its not necessarily an issue of dry hopping ‘on the yeast’, its more of an issue when you try to dry hop DURING active fermentation. All that’s really happening is the CO2 the yeast are making is carrying off the aroma compounds (the ones you want!).

It might add a nice note to layer the dry hop as the posters above stated. If you DIDN’T want hops in your keg though, you wouldn’t have to worry about doing both sacks in the primary after you hit your TG and everything tastes ok.