A natural adhesive?

I was wondering about adding something natural to the gasket of a growler to ensure a tight seal for bottle conditioning. I’ve got a couple of NB’s growlers and have used them to condition 1/2 gal’s for entertaining etc… The resulting carb was good but was wondering if something like honey etc. lightly applied to the gasket might help make a tight seal? Thoughts?

Does it need this? Don’t they use a rubber gasket like a Grolsch bottle? I know those seal well enough without having to grease them up. There is such a thing as gasket lube, food safe and shouldn’t add affect your beer. They sell it at NB as keg lube.

The other question that comes to mind is are the growlers rated for this kind of pressure? I wouldn’t necessarily carbonate beyond 2vol.

Everything I’ve read suggests these growlers can hang. I just hate the thought of wasting a 1/2 gallon b/c it didn’t carbonate.

I’d just heat the lid in some water to soften the gasket before screwing it on. I haven’t used one to bottle condition but it holds the pressure from filling normally at the pub. Of course those only last a few days!

What about bees wax around the gasket?

Also, even if it doesn’t hold pressure you haven’t lost the beer. So long as you know that the original priming sugar has been eaten up you could just add more priming sugar and re-cap or bottle normally.

Blake

Thank you.

Are you talking about this kind of growler:

or this:

The first will bottle condition, no problem. I’ve done it many times. The second, however, may not work.

[quote=“fightdman”]Are you talking about this kind of growler:

or this:

The first will bottle condition, no problem. I’ve done it many times. The second, however, may not work.[/quote]

+1, love those swingtops

I’m talking about the top one, I have two of them. In your experience can they hold full carbonation through and after bottle conditioning? If so w/o any alternative sealing besides pulliing the wire down?
Thanks, Mike

I have used the swing top model many times to successfully bottle carbonate. Best part is that I got mine at the thrift store for a buck a peice!

Best part is you filled them with your own beer! Buck a piece is a great bonus :smiley:

[quote=“Steppedonapoptop”]If so w/o any alternative sealing besides pulliing the wire down?
Thanks, Mike[/quote]
yes

Cool. I’d hate to waste one precious drop!