7 ounce beer bottles

Hey,I just received two cases of 7 ounce pabst beer bottles from a friend. 35 bottles per case in an original pabst case. Are they worth anything? I heard they could be. Seems too small to enjoy drinking out of them

Nice score.

Many people would like them to put a big Imperial Stout or Barleywine in.

Sometimes you don’t want more that 7oz of beer. Usually the only new small bottles you can find are clear or green.

I wish these smaller bottles were more available. My LHBS only carries clear ones.
I have a case of 7oz brown returnables which I obtained from a bar around 21 years ago, and I wish now that I would have thought to get more of them before they got phased out.
They are really perfect for those rare and coveted long aged big beers…Barleywines, RIS, and Scotch Ales… and that’s what I use them for.

To be honest, I’m really a bit put off by some of the current trends in commercial beers, including the one where so many high ABV brews are packaged in 22oz ‘bomber’ bottles. A smaller bottle is so much more sensible for a big “sipping beer”. Perhaps the audience being targeted is people that drink mainly to get drunk.
In any case, I think well made ‘big’ beers deserve more respect than that.

I guess there is just a bit of an ‘old fashioned’ streak in me.

I don’t think big beers coming in bomber bottles are targeting people who just like to get drunk. Those people just pound fifteen Coors or a bunch of vodka (Trust me; been there). I think it is more of a marketing kind of thing. In America bigger is always better (think of the tallboy trend as well here). Add that to additional cost of bottling substantially more bottles of beer if you’re using 7oz bottles and you got yourself the reason for bigger bottles.

^All of that said, I do see where you are coming from and for a homebrew perspective some smaller ones would be nice. I just don’t see it as being a viable market strategy for breweries putting out product to the general populous.

I completely agree about the 7 oz bottles. I have a few that I got by drinking Rogue’s Imperial series. I only managed to get 15 or so, as they’re they’re expensive and the beer is strong. I always bottle three or for with every batch, so I can check on the progress every week or so, and only waste half as much beer each time I do. They’re also great when I get to the end of bottling and I don’t have enough beer to fill that last 12 oz bottle.

[quote=“The Professor”] To be honest, I’m really a bit put off by some of the current trends in commercial beers, including the one where so many high ABV brews are packaged in 22oz ‘bomber’ bottles. A smaller bottle is so much more sensible for a big “sipping beer”. Perhaps the audience being targeted is people that drink mainly to get drunk.
In any case, I think well made ‘big’ beers deserve more respect than that. [/quote]
I bottle most of my big beers in 750ml bottles. They work out perfect for me and a bud or the wife and I.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“The Professor”] To be honest, I’m really a bit put off by some of the current trends in commercial beers, including the one where so many high ABV brews are packaged in 22oz ‘bomber’ bottles. A smaller bottle is so much more sensible for a big “sipping beer”. Perhaps the audience being targeted is people that drink mainly to get drunk.
In any case, I think well made ‘big’ beers deserve more respect than that. [/quote]
I bottle most of my big beers in 750ml bottles. They work out perfect for me and a bud or the wife and I.[/quote]

Agreed. I am drinking that 22 oz RIS with a bud and I enjoy it more.