6 row Smashing Pumpkin Ale

For those who have used the extract recipe for Smashing Pumpkin Ale with real pumpkin, the recipe says to use 2-3 pounds of 6 row in the process.

How much did you use and why?

I have 3 pounds at my disposal but I’m looking for a thought on what using 3 pounds versus 2 pounds will bring to my beer. Will it just add a more malty flavor if i use all 3 pounds? a fuller bodied ale?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118539

It’s about converting the starches in the pumpkin. You don’t need to use 6row. 2row is fine.

See the links I posting earlier in the above thread.

So i’m guessing the amount of 6 row I use should correlate to the amount of pumpkin being used in order to adequately convert the starches. Right now I’m planning on using 2 one pound cans of pumpkin.

Is it necessary to use 3 pounds with that? If I do, will I ultimately end up with an O.G. higher than the 1.054 indicated in the recipe?

You’re basically doing a mini mash to convert the pumpkin. The grain is there to provide the enzymes needed to convert the pumpkin starches into sugar. The reason for 6 row vs 2 is that traditionally 6 row had higher diastatic power (ability to convert startches to sugars). However, last time we had a thread on this topic, Denny pointed out that modern 2 row has basically the same diastatic power as 6 row, so it really doesn’t make any difference.

As to 2lbs vs 3, again its all about making sure you have enough enzymes available to get good conversion. 2 might be enough, but if I were you I’d stick with the recommendation.

And yes, the 3 lbs of grain will indeed boost your og a bit. Exactly how much depends on what efficiency you get from your mini mash. I think the reason the recipe doesn’t account for this is they’re assuming you will get low efficiency and it won’t make much difference.

G, you are correct.

If we try to achieve a diastatic power of 70…

3lb of 6row @ 160 = 960/5 (2lb pumpkin/3-6row) = 192
2lb of 6row @ 160 = 320/4 (2lb pumpkin/2-6row) = 80
1lb of 6row @ 160 = 160/3 (2lb pumpkin/1-6row) = 53

3lb of 2row @ 140 = 420/5 = 84

3lb of 2/6row will yield ~1.013 @ 60% efficiency in a 5 gallon batch. If you have a large enough fermenter you can add some water to bring the gravity down a few points. Or leave it alone.

Last time we made this we used 3 lbs. 6-row and 2x 39oz cans with the extract kit.
OG was 1.079 so yea, it bumped the OG up a little bit. It turned out very tasty; I’m usually my harshest critic, but this is one of my only homebrews that I actually preferred over most commercial equivalents.

My new supplies arrived today and I plan on doing this fall’s batch over this weekend.

Nevermind

[quote=“JMcK”]Last time we made this we used 3 lbs. 6-row and 2x 39oz cans with the extract kit.
OG was 1.079 so yea, it bumped the OG up a little bit. It turned out very tasty; I’m usually my harshest critic, but this is one of my only homebrews that I actually preferred over most commercial equivalents.

My new supplies arrived today and I plan on doing this fall’s batch over this weekend.[/quote]

Mine turned out to be 1.068 so we’ll see how it ends up. I used about 3/4 of the amount of pumpkin you used in mine.