Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

5 gallon vs 5.25 vs 5.5

Total noob question here, but I’ve seen a lot of people talking about and noticed on some pitching rate calculators that default batch values of 5.25 gallons or 5.5 gallons are shown. Are all the 5 gallon kits on NB really 5 gallons? or do I need to be adding water to get it to say, 5.25 gallons? and THAT’S what we’re calling 5 gallons batches? Any help is welcome.

Thanks!

Travis

Some brewers use enough water to have a little over 5 gallons in the fermenter so that after trub loss there is still 5 gallons left. You can adjust the amount of fermentables to accommodate this, but I don’t bother.

The extra volume over 5 gallons may be for starter wort that was also pitched with the yeast.

Once I added extra volume to account for the volume of loss due to the trub layer. I did this only once. That beer tasted watered down. I prefer full flavor and will take a couple fewer filled bottles.

Yeah, in creating a recipe, I plan for 5.25G into the bucket, knowing that will give me pretty darn close to 5G when bottling. After a couple of batches, you’ll be able to figure out your typical loss, which varies with everyone’s systems and techniques.

Thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated. It makes sense now.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com