4" PVC Sewer Pipe Question

Hi All,

I want a vessel which can fully submerge my siphon/racking cane in a PBW solution. I bought a 4" diameter 10’ length of PVC sewer pipe from homedepot. My intention is to cut it to the approximate length of my racking cane, epoxy a cap on one end, and fill it with PBW solution. Is PVC advisable for this use? I understand it’s not food grade HDPE. Just curious if anyone else has done this? Or should return it to homedepot before I poison myself?

Cheers!

Matt

I don’t think you’ll hurt yourself. You are going to have to wash it afterwards anyway. A reminder that PBW is a cleaner not a sanitizer. I’ve never had to use PBW on my racking cane because I rinse it after every use and Starsan it before every time it touches a beer. Cheers.

2 Likes

Not to derail your idea because it is cool but I use a wall paper prep tray. About $6 from a hardware store. You can’t stand it up like your PVC build of course so the cane has to lay down and you have to hold it under and hope it fills up.

2 Likes

Cheers! The wallpaper tray is a good idea. I’ll do that instead.

I mostly do cider and after transfer you can see the clingy bits. Rinsing and brushing causes a smear effect, I find PBW really gets rid of this problem. Maybe beer/wort rinses off easier? I dunno, I buy my beer from a brewer.

I can’t take credit for the wall paper tray idea. I think I read it here.

I used a 4" pvc cut it in half the long way after glue two end caps for sanitizing equipment. It lay down. It is approx 24" long. It does not roll or move around.

Early 2000, when I started, my mentor showed me using a wall paper tray… I broke a couple, then had a welding shop make one out of stainless steel… Its still going strong… I think it works beautifully!
Sneezles61