3 gallon vs 5 gallon full boil

I have an eight gallon brew kettle.
Ive been doing 3 gallon boils and adding additional water during transfer to the carboy.

I would like to start doing full boil as to eliminate a few steps.
My next batch will be a Caribou Slobber

Specialty Grains
.25 lbs Briess Caramel
.25 lbs Fawcett pale choclate
.125 lbs Black Malt

Extract
6 lbs amber malt syrup
1 lb amber malt DME

Hops
1 oz Goldings 60 min
1 oz liberty 45 min
1 oz willamettes 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1332

Is there any differences in extract addition?
Is there any differences in hop addition?
Is there any difference on specialty grain addition?

Thanks,

Matt K :cheers:

[quote=“mak2403”]I have an eight gallon brew kettle.
Ive been doing 3 gallon boils and adding additional water during transfer to the carboy.

I would like to start doing full boil as to eliminate a few steps.
My next batch will be a Caribou Slobber

Specialty Grains
.25 lbs Briess Caramel
.25 lbs Fawcett pale choclate
.125 lbs Black Malt

Extract
6 lbs amber malt syrup
1 lb amber malt DME

Hops
1 oz Goldings 60 min
1 oz liberty 45 min
1 oz willamettes 15 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1332

Is there any differences in extract addition?
nope.

Is there any differences in hop addition?
yep. With a full boil you will get better hip isomerization. This means your bittering charge will provide more IBU. You need to have some fermentable present to isomerize the hops but a concentrated boil hinders the isomerization. Its been years since I’ve brewed extract so I think you need to adjust your hops by 10% less.

Is there any difference on specialty grain addition?
nope.
Thanks,

Matt K :cheers: [/quote]

So what your saying is the process which 1 hop molecule is transformed into the full boil wort molecule will require 10% less hops.

I think I need a beer now.

:cheers:

So if the recipe calls for 1oz at 60 mins figure using .90oz.

[quote=“mak2403”]So what your saying is the process which 1 hop molecule is transformed into the full boil wort molecule will require 10% less hops.

I think I need a beer now.

:cheers: [/quote]

Two things going on here - it’s possible to reach a saturation point where you can’t extract any more alpha oils into the highly concentrated wort (might not be the correct term, it’s @#$^ early), so a 3-gallon boil with the same quantity of sugar won’t extract what it would if the sugars were diluted to a 5-gallon volume. This is why he’s saying to reduce your hops by 10% for your 5-gallon boil, as the lower concentration will be more effective at extracting your IBUs.

Second, your added water reduces your IBUs by diluting what you have extracted. So if you had 3 gallons of a 60IBU wort and diluted it with 3 gallons of water, you would have 6 gallons of 30IBU wort.

(Waiting for Denny’s “Well actually…”) :mrgreen: