2017 Holiday brews

Did look at the recipy looks nice. Should try this one got everything at home

Probably be only 3 gallons by time I split it. Iā€™m going to see if I can find some Jared figs or fig preserves if the donā€™t have alot of added Suger. Otherwise Iā€™m thinking those fig wheels should be showing up at the grocery store soon.

If you have a organic store near you might try fig juice concentrate. The organic will have no preservatives in it and might be easier to work with.

Be careful with organic dried ingredients - they still may contain sulfates during preservation. Will ruin your yeastsā€™ day.

2 Likes

Are fruit concentrates generally more reliable than actual fruit? Iā€™ve seen a lot of raspberry wheat recipes use raspberry extract for example

Fruit Concentrate are easier than fresh fruit at a cost. Concentrate is a little expensive. But its ready to use no preparations like you would with fresh fruits. Also you have a og gravity to start with concentrate. Where with fresh fruit the ripeness may very from piece to peice and contain different sugar levels when using whole fruit. But you can make your own concentrate too. I realy have no preference and use both and some time together.

Thank you for pointing that out porkchop glad you mentioned that. I figured brewcat would know that but for the other readers that are reading this thread and learning.

I always read labels too but good point. I wouldnā€™t use anything that had preservatives but It would probably ferment with enough yeast.

This is what I found

Carbonating the fig ESB now. Not bad. Came in at 10% I also tossed in 8oz of pear/raisons schnapps I made

Sooo, how many gallons? Sneezles61

I split off 3 gallons of my red ESB which came in at 7.5% I added the fig preserves which was about 275g of sugar to secondary which I calculated got it to 9% then added the schnapps to the keg Iā€™m calling it 10%. Iā€™ll be back in a minute going for a sample.

1 Like

waitingā€¦:smirk: Sneezles61

Well itā€™s barely carbonated. Itā€™s only been a couple days on gas so I know itā€™s going to change. But I think itā€™s going to be good . No real heat from the alcohol still a little cloudy so that will change. Donā€™t really taste fig but it is definitely different from the straight ESB sample. I want to say spicy but thatā€™s not right really. Iā€™m feelin it so its strong.

Thought maybe you passed ouā€¦ er took a napā€¦:relieved: Sneezles61

Nah Iā€™ll nap during the game tonight.