1st time using liquid Wyeast 1214 Belgian abbey

This is my third brew, 1st time using the liquid Wyeast 1214 belgian abbey. The Kit was received and sat in my kitchen for a day while I was out of town, so I was not able to put the yeast packet in the refrigerator right away. When I brewed the La petite orange the yeast packet did not seem to swell much. The Wyeast packet did say that it was not necessary for it to swell. But with my wort ready for fermentation I was not sure what else to do, so I added it and hoped for the best. After 24 hours I have not noticed any signs of fermentation, (all though it was hard for me to tell with the other two kits I brewed too). My questions is, did that day the Wyeast was not refrigerated ruin it? If so, is there any way to salvage the wort? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I think it’s more than likely your yeast is OK and your problem is due to not making a starter. Unless the OG is under 1.040, you should always make a starter with liquid yeast. See mrmalty.com for details. I’m willing to bet it will start eventually…just be patient. You may get poor performance since you underpitched, but you’ll end up with beer.