1st starter

Saturday I’ll be brewing my first kit that requires a yeast starter. I have the 1000mL flask with a stirrer. When should I prepare the starter if I plan to pitch say 11 am on Saturday. Would tonight, Thursday, be too soon.

Tonight would be fine. let it spin on the stir plate for18-24 hrs. cold crash for a day or so in the fridge. Then on Brew day…remove from fridge and let it warm up to pitching temps (couple 2-3 hrs), decant off the stale beer, leaving enough behind to pour out the yeast.

Cheers!!

By my ROT, you should have started yesterday or the day before. In lieu of that, use the advice above.

Will your starter be big enough?

Denny, Brewing the bourbon porter extract kit with an og of 1.065. I am using Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale yeast which I just activated, that is good up to 1.060, and I have a little Scottish heritage going for me also

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

This is the easiest pitch calculator I’ve found.

No package of liquid yeast is “good up to 1.060”, no matter what the manufacturer says IMO. 1.040, sure.

Thanks The Fhunt, I’m new to this and your info was helpful

No package of liquid yeast is “good up to 1.060”, no matter what the manufacturer says IMO. 1.040, sure.[/quote]

I go up to 1.060, but I brew three gallons at a time. For five a starter is called for.

[quote=“Denny”]By my ROT, you should have started yesterday or the day before. In lieu of that, use the advice above.

Will your starter be big enough?[/quote]

Agree with Denny. For a Saturday brew day I start my starter no later than Tuesday, but usually Sunday. I find I need more than an overnight cold crash.

Appreciate all the advice. Had a bit of a overflow this morning when my wife gave the flask a stir so I think I’ll cold crash what I have then add another batch of wort to increase the count and brew next Saturday. Denny, nice website! Not at a All Grain level yet but I’m moving that way. Happies all around

Smart move!