1st Lager

I’ve recently made the jump to All Grain. Now, I plan to attempt my first Lager. I’ve developed a recipe by comparing several out there. I plan on a Schwartzbier. My question lies in the distinction between cold fermentation and lagering. I compared the NB Schwartzbier AG kit instructions to others and it suggests a 4 week cold secondary. To me this suggests that one would stay within the optimum temperature range of the yeast (Wyeast 2206 is 46-56 degrees F)and not really dropping into the 40 below range that would suggest true lagering. After a diactyl rest should I gradually drop back into the optimal temperature for the yeast I’m using or drop below it??

After Drest, drop into lagering temps…best if you can get to low 30s. Keep it there for at least 4 weeks.

I’ve made that beer several times: 4 week lagering, 8 week lagering, 4 month lagering. Longer is really better for it. Becomes very very smooth and clean with age. It has a roasty flavor (like a stout only much smoother/not harsh) which also mellows even more with age.

It is really a great beer.

cheers.

Thank for the clarification and advice!

Cheers

[quote=“StormyBrew”]4 month lagering.

cheers.[/quote]

Yikes! Who has the patience for that?? :slight_smile:

[quote=“breslinp”][quote=“StormyBrew”]4 month lagering.

cheers.[/quote]

Yikes! Who has the patience for that?? :slight_smile: [/quote]

Folks that really enjoy very good, not just good, beer. :wink:

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”][quote=“breslinp”][quote=“StormyBrew”]4 month lagering.

cheers.[/quote]

Yikes! Who has the patience for that?? :slight_smile: [/quote]

Folks that really enjoy very good, not just good, beer. :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]

4 months is nothing I have brewed marzens in march and tapped in September. Some beers are worth waiting for. :cheers:

Yup. My last bock was lagering for a little more than 6 months. Worth every day of wait.

cheers.