1st lager need advice

I am about to make my first lager…Im using wy2124 yeast…The temp range for this yeast is 45-55*F…So just to make sure i understand the process of making a lager im gonna give the process that i think i should do and let me know if i have the right idea

First i will mash,sparge,boil like usual
cool down to 45F
pitch large starter
ferment @45
F for 4 weeks
D.rest for 2-3 days @ 60-65F
crash cool, rack to keg and lager @ 35-38
F for 1-2 months

Do i have the process down? Anything i am missing or doing wrong?
cheers

Sounds good.

A “D” rest is only needed if diacetyl is in the beer. You won’t hurt the beer by raising the temp is no diacetyl is there. It’s just an unneeded process.

http://www.brew-wineforum.com/viewtopic ... 08&t=59851

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Sounds good.

A “D” rest is only needed if diacetyl is in the beer. You won’t hurt the beer by raising the temp is no diacetyl is there. It’s just an unneeded process.

http://www.brew-wineforum.com/viewtopic ... 08&t=59851[/quote]

Cool thanks…I will employ a D rest cause i am not experienced enough to knowwhether there is or is not diacetyl…I hear butterscotch slick mouth feel but since it cant hurt doing a D rest why not…thank you

Trust me, a quick sample after a couple weeks and you will be able to taste the butteriness (yep think I made that word up) of a d-bomb. If you pitch enough yeast this is negligible. But, it doesn’t hurt to do a d rest. I always do one to help drop a few gravity points as well as cleaning up any by-products.

a d-rest will not work if you wait 3-4 weeks to start it. you want the yeast to still be active so start raising the temp for d-rest when fermentaion is about 70% complete. if you are useing pils malt you will need to increase the boil volume to allow for a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS.

45 is really on the cold side for primary ferment of a lager in my opinion… I always go for about 49-51. I like 3 weeks in primary. . . . then about 3-5 days I bring it up into the low 60’s. Then keg… lager in the keg for 8-12 weeks. Usually start drinking some around 10-12 weeks from brew day.

Also, a real key is a great starter. 1 smack pack is not enough… even moreso if you are going 45 degrees. sounds like you have a starter planned - that is good.

Why would you drop the temp for a d-rest?

Why would you drop the temp for a d-rest?[/quote]

because that is the way a d-rest is performed. after fermation is about 70% complete you slowly raise the temp about 10 degrees above your fermentation temp. how did tou think a d-rest was done?

edit: my bad, I just noticed I wrote drop insted of raise. sorry. I corrected the post.

It’s good. :cheers: