153F Mash Results

That really is quite an amazing project that he did! I’m going to be using that information in recipe calculation for sure. What I was surprised by is that sucrose wasn’t closer to 100% fermentable.

With a 60 minute mash the “153” maximum fermentability is reasonable. The Beta enzymes have hardly had time to work. As temperature drops everything works a little slower. I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t even complete conversion.

I would bet that if the mash time was 90 minutes for all of the temperature tests the maximum fermentability peak would be lower.

I hope that Greg carries his work further and does more experiments.

This is an interesting topic. I really don’t think any individual homebrewer making beer at home, even with the most sophisticated equipment available, can refute data generated in a lab, by a trained lab technician.

I’d be amazed if those finicky germans haven’t done this research 80 years ago.

Does anyone other than me sometimes think we homebrewers reinvent the wheel a lot?

Interesting experiment yeilding interesting results. Thanks for posting the link Denny!
Looks like I have some experimenting to do.

Indeed an interesting post, and relevant to me! I am making a sweet stout (was going to brew this weekend but didn’t get around to it), and was going to mash @ 153-54!