10 Gallon batch

I’m switching from 5 gallon to 10 gallon batches and contemplating how to manage my yeast starter. I bought 2 yeast packets for this first larger batch. I only have one stir plate, stir rod, flask. My options are 1) skip the starter (don’t think I’ll do this), 2) make one starter and direct pitch the second packet, or do a 2-step starter. My understanding of a 2-step process would be to make a starter, cool, decant, add another batch or wort, and pitch. If this is the way to go, I guess I still only need one packet of yeast.
Any thoughts on approach to upsizing the starter with only one starter set-up?

I’d be tempted to do two starters, one on the stir plate, one not. Then split the 10 gallon batch into 2 fermenters, and put one starter in each.
I’d do this just to see if I could tell the difference between yeast starters shaken versus stirred.

I’d also consider making a 3- or 5- gallon batch instead of a starter. It will give you a case or two of beer and a yeast cake big enough for most 10-gallon batches. Disclaimer, I’ve never brewed a 10-gallon batch but I do routinely pitch cakes from earlier batches into newer.

[quote=“JMcK”]I’d be tempted to do two starters, one on the stir plate, one not. Then split the 10 gallon batch into 2 fermenters, and put one starter in each.
I’d do this just to see if I could tell the difference between yeast starters shaken versus stirred.

I’d also consider making a 3- or 5- gallon batch instead of a starter. It will give you a case or two of beer and a yeast cake big enough for most 10-gallon batches. Disclaimer, I’ve never brewed a 10-gallon batch but I do routinely pitch cakes from earlier batches into newer.[/quote]
I’ll be doing my first 10 gallon batch this week. It’s a lager so I need a big starter. I had a very fresh slurry saved from a week or 2 ago and made about a 4L starter for it. I usually do my starters in a 1 gallon jug and swirl them. I put this on into an ale pale and swirled it. Worked out great for the starter. Now trying to divide it equally may be tricky…

Seems to me for bigger batches direct pitch onto a freshly vacated yeast cake might be the easiest most effective way to go…

I do 10 gallon batches and often grow my yeast from a culture. I do have two stir plates so I can double up the growth and pitch both starters into the 10 gallons of wort. Even with one you can so multi step starters to get up to the right level. Use this calculator, it lets you step up to 3 levels so you can see what the step up will do for you.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitc ... alculator/

Thanks for the calculator.

If I understand the calculator, it says I can get to nearly 600 billion cells with a 60% viable vile and 2 2liter steps. If I can get to that cell count, this seems like a pretty efficient approach. Almost seems too easy.

Am I right that the process for a 2 step starter is to make the first starter, cool it, decant the liquid off, and then add another round of wort?

Yes, your approach is correct. If I was doing a small step from culture like 250 ml I might not decant but anything larger and you need double flask size if you don’t decant.
It is easy when you have a stir plate. You are starting with 60 billion cells and if each one doubles and those double, it does not take much to get to 600 billion.