1 Gallon Whitehouse honey ale

Hello All,

I brewed Beer for the first time last night, The Whitehouse Honey ale in the 1 gallon kit. Everything went fine, it’s sitting in the corner of the room I’m in, bubbling like mad. However, after steeping the grains for the instructed 10 minutes, and adding the Golden Malt syrup, it was not the nice golden color portrayed in the catalog and on the website. It is instead a rich, chocolate brown, like the chocolate river in the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. Why is this?

Thanks

Gonzo

Photoshop! kidding. :lol:

While it’s fermenting, you are seeing the yeast, hot/cold break and other proteins moving around. After fermentation is over these things will drop to the bottom of the fermenter and the beer will clear. It may not look like the photo. But it will look a lot better.

Guess what I did?

Overpitched both beers and am going through flash fermenting right now.

So, instead of waiting a week or two, I will be bottling in a day or two, once I’m sure the ferm is done.

[quote=“Gonzo”]Guess what I did?

Overpitched both beers and am going through flash fermenting right now.

So, instead of waiting a week or two, I will be bottling in a day or two, once I’m sure the ferm is done.[/quote]
I wouldn’t. Leave the beer and yeast together for a couple of weeks at least! There is a lot more going on than just turning sugar into alcohol. Overpitching and temperatures above 70*F will make for a fast fermentation, but not the best beer.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]
I wouldn’t. Leave the beer and yeast together for a couple of weeks at least! There is a lot more going on than just turning sugar into alcohol. Overpitching and temperatures above 70*F will make for a fast fermentation, but not the best beer.[/quote]

I was just going by what I was told. The owner of a brew shop I talked to suggested giving it a good swirl to release any trapped co2, and expose any yeast in there to the wort, then bottle it this weekend.

The guy at the Northern Brewer helpline suggested I just check the gravity, and bottle it as soon as it stops decreasing, in about a day or two.

Sunday night will make it 7 days. I also have the Whitehouse Porter with the same problem. If only Northern Brewer had said in their directions WHY they add half a pack of dry yeast to the fermenter without re-constituting. I know just enough right now to be dangerous, and did both yeasts with water and pitched about 1/2 the slurry. This was how I overpitched.