Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

1 gallon pumpkin ale recipes?

Does anyone have any recipes for pumpkin ale? I would like to brew a pumpkin ale but would like to try a 1 gallon recipe first to see how it turns out. Does anyone have a recipe they can share with me on here?

I was thinking of taking a preexisting kit and just adding some pumpkin to it during the boil. Kind of what the Smashing Pumpkin Ale says when using real pumpkins. The only reason why I don’t purchase that kit is because I only have the 1 gallon kit equipment. Other than that I would purchase that and my problem would be solved. Thank you for your help!

[quote=“Cloud254AAF”]Does anyone have any recipes for pumpkin ale? I would like to brew a pumpkin ale but would like to try a 1 gallon recipe first to see how it turns out. Does anyone have a recipe they can share with me on here?

I was thinking of taking a preexisting kit and just adding some pumpkin to it during the boil. Kind of what the Smashing Pumpkin Ale says when using real pumpkins. The only reason why I don’t purchase that kit is because I only have the 1 gallon kit equipment. Other than that I would purchase that and my problem would be solved. Thank you for your help![/quote]

You could look at the ingredients and scale down to 1 gal. Buy the ingredients separately. Pumpkin pie spice will give you good flavor without using real pumpkin.

I think I’ll throw out my question about a 5 gallon recipe. I want to use pumpkin, but am not sure if I should use a protein rest, or perhaps a beta-glucan rest. I had to study up on rye to make a good rye beer. Is there some site that has good scientific information on the contents of pumpkins, and what considerations are needed for brewing a pumpkin beer? Do pumpkins have much sugar in them? Without pumpkin pie spices, they are quite bland, but do they contain some other saccharides like raffinose? Raffinose is a trisaccharide found in many vegetables. Ale yeasts can break off one monosaccharide, ferment it, then leave behind melibiose. Lager yeasts can digest melibiose and ferment it.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com