05 rehydrate or not?

Tomorrow I’m brewing my second batch, an IPA. Beer Smith tells me to pitch 2 pkts of 05. Should I rehydrate or not. If I do rehydrate is it alright to let it sit for the 2 or 3 hours that I’ll be brewing?

I recommend rehydrating 15min prior to pitching the yeast as this method is the most viable way to achieve a healthy pitch.

Roger that. Anyone have an idea on what amount of water I should boil/use per packet to rehydrate? I’m sure I’ll probably find it via the search function but if you know it show it :slight_smile: just in case.

Thanks!

I guess I could just boil the water for the re hydration process in a pot on the turkey fryer as I’m chilling the wort after cooking. Never thought of that before

[quote=“SolomonsCommune”]Roger that. Anyone have an idea on what amount of water I should boil/use per packet to rehydrate? I’m sure I’ll probably find it via the search function but if you know it show it :slight_smile: just in case.

Thanks![/quote]

Boil then chill about 4-8oz of water per 11gm pack of dry yeast.

Thank ye kindly! Happy New Year and 3 day weekend if you happen to be lucky enough to have one!

Oh yeah, btw, is there any problem with me pouring my cooled wort into the bucket vs using the auto-siphon? I have a 5 gal paint strainer that’s sanitized and on the fermenting bucket already so why not just dump that shiz in there vs waiting an extra 5 or 10 for the auto siphon.

^^ nope, nothing wrong with that at all…do it all the time. Everything settles out anyway.

You can skip rehydrating if you up the pitch rate to account for the ~50% loss from pitching directly into the wort. Did an IPA and Stout today, both with OG of ~1.070, and just pitched 1.5 packs (dry, sprinkled on top) to each fermenter.

I’m waiting for a BPA to finish. I scooped two cups of my wort out into a Mason jar
and rehydrated it while I finished cooling the wort. It seemed to fermennt just fine.
Guess I’ll see how it turned out in a few days. This is only my second brew.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

I’m a yeast abuser…I don’t rehydrate and get great performance from the yeast. As long as it works as well as it does without rehydrating, I’ll skip the extra effort.

I’ve had great success without rehydrating as well. That being said, I have been rehydrating lately.

The only time I ever bothered rehydrating dry yeast is with Fermentis 34/70 that was past the “best by” date. It fermented like a champ, but for all I know it still would have without rehydrating. In my experience, US05 is a BEAST–I too have abused the crap out of it and still not found a way to keep it below 80% apparent attenuation (and often significantly above).

By the way–what’s the OG on your IPA? The reason I ask is that if it’s not >1.060-65, I personally would only pitch one pack. With that said, others’ results may vary, and there’s no downside to pitching 2. Just throwing it out there :slight_smile:

Some say that you should, some say you shouldn’t. I like this one: http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2 … at-i-dont/

/Fredrik

I usually go by the instructions on the package.

I put two packets in each 15 gallon fermenter as I am filling the fermenters. That way, it kind of is like rehydrating for the few minutes it takes to fill the fermenters.

no.

I’m using the same yeast on a 2.5 gallon batch, OG of 1.065. Mr. Malty mentions only using .6 or .7 of 11.5 gram packets. So without re-hydration, I can expect a loss of ~ 50. With that loss I’m guessing a single packet should be sufficient, right?

Yes, that’s plenty.

Thanks, Shadetree.