Zwickelbier

Just snooping around about this style found this site… Learn-kegerator.com has an article about the Keller bier… Just in case you’d wanna see an interpretation…
Sneezles61

I now have all my ingredients… Gotta get stuff cleaned up and organized… I’ll make Monday, brew day… In the mean time… I’ll procure another sampling of the brew I’m gonna try replicate…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

1 lb 4 oz Carahell
10lbs best Pils
7 gallons in my kettle, pH corrected to 5.8 BEFORE the malt is added.
Settled in to 5.3pH…
Gravity 1.041
FWH Sterling, 1.5 oz. 8.6 AA
OG 1.050
5.5 gallons into the fermenter…
Sneezles61

1 Like

So last night went to “see” how my progress is… Daggnabit the controller went bonkers… I unplugged it… Put a fan over it to get it from 34 up to 52… Then I gave that gizmo a good wackin’… Alls well now… But not burping yet… :disappointed:… Perhaps I just expect too much from stuff… :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

I’m down to 1.010 today… Temp at 55*F… But now plagued with a bad back ache… I’ll let it sit til I’m better…
I will plan to brew another Pils based brew… Maybe use rye? Then after the new brew is ready, I’ll rack the Zwickelbier off the yeast, put the new brew on the yeast cake… I wonder how many I can do using this… ?
Sneezles61

1 Like

“But now plagued with a bad back ache…”

Yoga is your friend. Until I figured that out I spent hundreds at the chiropractor with little relief. dailyom.com 14 day spinal reset literally changed my life. check it out.

3 Likes

Yoga definitely helps keep my back in line. I’ve been lazy and haven’t been doing it as much as I used to, but it definitely makes a difference.

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

I’m surprised you are ready to give rye a go again after the dreaded blackened heat element fiasco with rye!

Back Pain sucks…I have to do crunches and yoga/stretching or it will haunt me. For acute episodes I found relief from some of the exercises in this web md bit:

Exercises That Can Help Ease Back Pain

“The back likes to move” sums up the modern approach vs the backrest/bedrest camp which is largely disproven.

3 Likes

Once I’m mobile again, I’ll be looking into a stretching/yoga routine… Right now… Sitting and even sleeping at night isn’t very comfortable… Walking has the best relief for me. The Dr. has me on a short schedule with prednisone… I’m deathly afraid of pills and such… But relief sooner rather than later is needed… I will not do as much manual labor as I did this spring/summer… I’m burnt out.
So the fiasco with rye now seems to be correlated to the use of calcium chloride. I did a completely different brew and used the CChl. and another scorched element episode… So I’ll stick my neck out to see if THATS the culprit… I mean I really like rye… I do try keep it in my daily diet…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I get lower back pain occasionally and those exercises make all the difference. Laying around makes it worse. A strong core is key to easing/preventing back pain.

3 Likes

I can see the next topic… Beer and stretching … And in real time!!! :joy::joy::beers::dizzy_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Sneezles61😷

We went wine tasting in Yakima a few years back and some of the winerys had yoga classes with a tasting afterwards.
Women in yoga pants were a bit distracting, but I did learn something about wine.:wine_glass:

2 Likes

Tomorrow… A grist bill of 8bs Pils… 2lbs rye… I’ll rack my Z-brew off the yeast and the R-brew on top of the yeast cake…
After this next one, I think it should be time to scoop some yeast out… thin out the herd? Input?
Sneezles61

there’s a brewery here that offers yoga on weekends. Occasionally they have yoga with goats…

I made a rye beer with Munich and rye

The goats face IS the Devils’!!! I do not like to look at them… Well, it seems to be from the pictures I remember as a youngster… :astonished:
Sneezles61

Do you have to drink a Bock while doing the yoga?

3 Likes

hhhmmmm, so I’m doing lagers now… Maybe after the R-brew… Either Miabock or regular bock…
That would give them plenty time to mature… So many decisions… And plenty of time to decipher… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

Amazing… Racked the R-brew on the yeast cake… about 4 hours ago… It’s rolling along very nice… I chilled to 68, then racked…
Now to develope my next lager…
Sneezles61

1 Like

R-brew very promising, had a sample last night… Now to see if I can let it sit, in the dark, cold keezer… :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

1 Like