Zwickelbier

Holy cow… Heads swimming reading about these different brews from Germany…
I got a small box of pounders from Surly… Hell… It’s a pretty darn good brew… One to put on my “to brew” list… Does the malt from a region really make that much difference? This one has the Pils from Germany… I won’t alter my water… So again, does that matter for the malts sake?
Carahell… Is that light caramel/crystal?
Looking for conversation before I’d brew this one… I must sample another… In a Pilsner tulip glass…dare I say it looks very sexy!
Sneezles61

Some say you can sub cc10L for Carahell but if you need to buy I’d get the Carahell. Yes use German malt. Funny you posted today my Helles just kicked. Sad day

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear…
I sometimes can get Best Pils… I don’t have to brew until I procure the nessecary ingredients… It calls for German yeast… I’ll study the pages to see where I can get stuff…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

OK, our host all I need… I’ve got yeast… Interesting note… I’ve got (?)Lalmand Diamond yeast… IF you can believe what the proprietors write about their yeast… This one sounds like an excellent choice…
I wonder if any of you have fermented with it? Comparing to 34/70? See, I’m trying to get out of my “ale box” once in a while…
Sneezles61

I’ve been playing with my Helles Bock for a while. This last one besides treating my water with the calcium chloride I finished it with Cascade. Not traditional but played nice with the early German hops. Post your recipe I’d like to take a look.

1 Like

Following with interest. Likely starting a lager series next…

Surly has the ingredients listed as
German Pils
Carahells
And Liberty hops
5% ABV…
So in a 5-er… Just starting the thought process…
Correct my water to 5.8 pH pre mash (BIAB)
9 lbs Pils
1 lbs carahell
1-1/4 oz liberty to the boil…Edit: Sterling hops… not sure why I used Liberty.
Looks like a starting point?
Sneezles61

That looks good but that looks like a pilsner recipe which is fine but the name hell lager suggested to me Helles Bock which would probably have Munich malt and be a bit stronger. So you need the Carahell to be true to the name I suppose. Anyway that’s my pennies worth

It’s just a Helles… I don’t follow the Beer guide lines… Somewhere there is a line drawn that will separate the common to a bock… I don’t know what that is…
Isn’t a Helles bock a very pale relative to a typical bock? Helles referring to clear?
From reading about this style, it’s a green version of a Kellerbrier? And the Kellerbier is one for aging/cellaring…
Again, start reading about the German variants is going to send you down a rabbit hole…
In the end… I do trust it’ll be… Beer!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

I’m German so these things upset me

I see the can says hell lager not Helles lager so my mistake. It looks good as a pilsner. Maybe @dannyboy58 will weigh in he’s a pilsner guy

1 Like

Now I know where the line is… Thank you…
Check out Surly and read about why the owner makes this brew… I haven’t a clue how to highlight the article and re-post…
Yeah, where in the world is Dannyboy? Out “thinning out the moles”?
There are 2 German Pils to choose from from our host… Best and Dingemanns… The second one is a whisker bit darker… Maybe it costs more because it has more flavor? :joy:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Thank you Voltron!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

You betcha!

1 Like

I’m a fan of best malz by avangard. It’s the only pilsen malt I’ve used for years.

Your recipe looks good if non-traditional from a hops perspective.

We are American… No need to believe we can reproduce terroir from somewhere else… Getting close… Is close enough for me…
And the moles?
Sneezles61

haha…i still haven’t picked up the aerator and it’s so dry now the grass is burnt up and the ground is hard as rock.

He’s after squirrels now

2 Likes