Wildbrew™ Philly Sour

I am trying WILDBREW™ PHILLY SOUR for the first time.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/wildbrew-philly-sour/

"WildBrew™ Philly Sour is a unique species of Lachancea selected from nature by University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA.

Philly Sour produces moderate amounts of lactic acid in addition to ethanol in one simple fermentation step. This first yeast in the WildBrew™ series is a great choice for innovative, sessionable sour beers with refreshing acidity and notes of stone fruit. With high attenuation, high flocculation and good head retention, WildBrew™ Philly Sour is an ideal yeast for traditional styles such as Berliner Weiss, Gose, American Lambic Style, American Wild Ales and its resistance to hops make it perfect for Sour IPA’s."

It is a slow fermenting yeast which can tolerate hops. Because it is so slow growing you have to be extra careful with your practice to avoid cross contamination as any other stray yeast which will out compete the Lachancea.
A fermenting range of 68F-77F is pretty tight for my swapping ice bottles technique of temperature control, It is slow growing and I overcompensated initially for the usual temperature gain of activity but I never really came.
2 days into fermentation and I have fallen from 1.071 to 1.061. My favorite yeasts typically go from 1.071 to about 1.02 in a similar timeframe.

1 Like

At least it’s going in the right direction, Patience grasshopper. Following with interest.

2 Likes

Krausen is starting to drop. At 1.06 and 72F

2 Likes

yea that’s working sloooowww…

Yesterday I racked to a secondary. The Philly Sour Lachancea had managed to drop the OG 1.071 to 1.017 in 8 days. Not too bad. I increased temperature to the higher part of the range and that seemed to help.
The fermenter smelled great. A terrific sour aroma. I should have tased a sample but I didn’t… I wasn’t thinking.
Since I am bottle conditioning this I want to introduce another yeast to make sure I finish the fermentation and also have enough viable cells of yeast number to to reliably bottle condition. I chose to introduce the Oslo kevin strain at this time as well as add a bottle of Pomegranate syrup which is highly concentrated pomegranate juice thick like molasses.

1 Like

I don’t think you noticed… There is some funny looking squiggling marks on yer bottle…
Sneezles61