Ward Labs Soil Test

Anyone used Ward Labs for a soil test before? I have had my garden soil tested before but was wondering how well you liked the Ward Labs test and what size sample Ward Labs needs to do the test? This might also be benficial for testing hop beds.

Soil sample sent. I guess I’ll find out soon.

Got my soil test results back yesterday and couldn’t be happier. Results were emailed to me within 2 business days of Ward Labs receiving the sample. I ended up going with the S-5 Complete Analysis which tests: Nitrate-Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Sum of Cations (CEC), Sulfate-Sulfur, Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper, Organic Matter, Soil pH, Buffer pH or Soluble Salts, and Excess Lime.
Everything came back looking good with the following comments: Fertility is very high. No fertilzer is needed. Soil pH is ideal and organic matter is very good. Nutrient levels are high but not excessive. They even provide a breakdown for fertilizer recommendations if needed.
Highly recommend Ward Labs for soil testing as well as water testing.

That would explain your massive pepper haul last year.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Tired of the heat, but looks like my Jalapeno plants like it.
Harvested 61 of these yesterday. [/quote]

I was checking out their site for sending in a soil sample. What did you use to extract a sample? Can I just take a shovel full of soil from my garden, or do I need to present them with a cored sample cross section thingy?

I used the spade method shown in the Soil Sampling Procedures section to take a sample from 10" below the surface. Being careful to not get any surface soil in my sample.