Transitioning from 1gal to more?

So there appears to only be a very small range of 1gallon kits to brew. I’ve got the Irish Red bottled , the Dead Ringer is fermenting, and I’m going to cook up the German Blonde tomorrow.

I’ve got 4 x 1gallon jugs and airlocks to make this all happen, but what’s the best way to proceed if I want to do all these other beers from the larger kits?

I’m in an apartment and don’t have the option to boil much more than a 1gallon batch at a time without buying a bunch more gear to do it elsewhere or on my deck, and of course storage is an issue. So I’m confined to putting whatever I brew into 1gallon jugs regardless.

So… is there a way to split up one of these larger kits evenly so that I could maybe do a gallon of the ingredients at a time. I’m not sure (not having seen these larger kits) how one might go about breaking up the ingredients to make that happen, or if it can even be done.

Start building your own recipes. Use DME and not LME, because it’s easier to weigh out and store. Find a recipe you like and just cut it down to a 1 gallon batch. Then buy the ingredients yourself. Skip the kits.

DME being ‘dry’ malt extract?

Gosh I’m smart!

Maybe I’m mis-reading something, but most extract kits involve a partial volume boil where you top up to five gallons at the end. Is the amount of liquid you are able to boil the only issue? If so, I would go to 5-gallon partial mash/partial-volume boil batches. I like to maximize my beer-made:time-spent-brewing ratio! Pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and skip the kits as well.

I’ve got to imagine you can find a spot for a 5 gallon ale pail in your apartment :slight_smile:

How does one split up the yeast? Since these kits recommend handling it like a radioactive element, what’s the strategy there?

dobe brings up a good point. You should be able to develop your own recipes and not worry about having to split up kits. However, you can certainly purchase 3-gallon or 5-gallon kits if you wish and just divide up the ingredients accordingly. This IS in fact as easy to do as it seems.

Yep, DME is dry extract.

Splitting the yeast is as simple as using only 1/4 or 1/3 of a pack of yeast, whether it is dry or wet, makes no difference. For smaller batches you just don’t need as much. The exception might be for lagers. If you want to make a lager, you need to have a means to keep the fermenter cool in the 40s or 50s, and then pitch a whole pack or two of yeast to help them deal with the coolness. This is necessary even for small batches.

You could use both liquid or dry, but I think it would be easier just to weigh out dry. Figure out how much you need for a 1 gallon batch. But a pack of yeast and weigh out what you need. Save the rest for the next batch.

With dry packets its tough, but they are designed for 5g batches. You basically need to add 1/5 of it for a 1g. As far as the radioactivity, invest in a $0.79 spray bottle, and mix up a mini batch of star san to keep around to spot-sanitize things like that.

[quote=“Pietro”]Maybe I’m mis-reading something, but most extract kits involve a partial volume boil where you top up to five gallons at the end. Is the amount of liquid you are able to boil the only issue? If so, I would go to 5-gallon partial mash/partial-volume boil batches. I like to maximize my beer-made:time-spent-brewing ratio! Pick up a copy of Brewing Classic Styles and skip the kits as well.

I’ve got to imagine you can find a spot for a 5 gallon ale pail in your apartment :slight_smile: [/quote]

Yes, I have a small range and there’s not many options there for boiling more than a gallon. I suppose I could do a slightly larger amount or maybe two separate boils at once, but that’d be about it.

Most of my place is filled with Bicycle stuff! I could manage,but I have to say that having 5 gallons of one particular beer isn’t as favorable to me as perhaps having a few smaller batches of different kinds. Maybe 2 gallons worth.

I’m assuming that ‘Brewing Classic Styles’ is a book?

So again with the yeast, if you open a packet and split it up (assuming it’s best to just measure/weigh whatever volume you need), how does one store the rest of it? Freezer? Fridge? Just a ziploc?

yes, Brewing Classic Styles is a GREAT book, some would consider an essential part of a homebrewers library. Really a great reference, filled with awesome tested recipes (both extract and all grain).

As far as the yeast goes, yes, you can put it in a ziplock then in the fridge (don’t freeze it), and dry yeast will last a long time. Just make sure to sanitize then dry the bag prior to putting your remaining yeast in there.

With dry packets its tough, but they are designed for 5g batches. You basically need to add 1/5 of it for a 1g. As far as the radioactivity, invest in a $0.79 spray bottle, and mix up a mini batch of star san to keep around to spot-sanitize things like that.[/quote]

Dry isn’t tough. Get a small scale that will weigh in grams. Shouldn’t cost any more than $20-30 online. Figure how many grams you need for your batch of beer (Mr.Malty) then just weigh it out. Couldn’t be easier. I think liquid would be tougher.

Store your open yeast packet in the fridge… I think. Not certain on this. I use liquid Wyeast.

I use partial packs of yeast all the time for my small batches. I don’t weigh anything. Just feel your dry yeast before splitting, then try to make sure you use roughly 1/4 of it or whatever you need. It doesn’t need to be such an exact science! When in doubt, use more than you think you need. Since you only need 1/5 of a pack for 1 gallon, then if you use 1/4 of a pack, you know you’re in good shape.

If you’re going to split a 5 gallon kit in half your partial boil volume would only need to be 1.25 gallons or so then top off to 2.5 gallons. If you know anybody in the food industry they could probably get you a 4 gallon bucket to use as a fermenter, a lot of their bulk stuff comes in that size, especially at bakeries.

I’m sure NB would work with you on getting the kits with DME or you can look at their kit’s ingredients on their website and scale it yourself with something like Beersmith or an online recipe creator.

[quote=“Glug Master”]If you’re going to split a 5 gallon kit in half your partial boil volume would only need to be 1.25 gallons or so then top off to 2.5 gallons. If you know anybody in the food industry they could probably get you a 4 gallon bucket to use as a fermenter, a lot of their bulk stuff comes in that size, especially at bakeries.

I’m sure NB would work with you on getting the kits with DME or you can look at their kit’s ingredients on their website and scale it yourself with something like Beersmith or an online recipe creator.[/quote]
Do the one gallon kits call for a full boil?

[quote=“dustinwwww”]
Do the one gallon kits call for a full boil?[/quote]

You could go either way.

I like the idea of a 3 gallon Better Bottle and splitting a 5g batch into two. The foot print is about the size of a gallon jug. More beer for the same work, but fewer bottles so more variety. Store the other half in the freezer for 2-3 months with out an issue.

Or the smaller pails from the bakery.

Like mentioned earlier, a kitchen scale for $30 will be very useful.

Brooklyn Brewshop’s Beer Making Book has 52 one gallon recipes. They all use half of a pkg of dry yeast. Seal the leftover half and store in the frig for the next batch. Brooklyn Brewshop.com.

Brooklyn Brewshop’s Beer Making Book has 52 one gallon recipes. They all use half of a pkg of dry yeast. Seal the leftover half and store in the frig for the next batch. Brooklyn Brewshop.com.

Agree with building your own recipes. One gallon BIAB is ridiculously quick and easy, no need for DME. For yeast, you can make a starter from bottle conditioned beer (ie, your past brews), makes the perfect amount for pitching in one gallon, so no need for new yeast. I even do tiny BIAB for my starters, I’ve never used DME for anything.

My two cents. :cheers:

Wow, that is some planning on their part!..A gallon batch a week! :shock: