Transfer to secondary

I’m making a NB peanut butter stout. My OG was 1.080 (actually 1.082 with the temp. Conversion) on 10/16. Today (10/24) it is at 1.025. The krausen is starting to fall. The co2 bubbles are a few minutes apart. Some of you suggested not moving into a secondary. I’m realizing now that I have to because I have more ingredients to add and taking the lid off the bucket is going to be more aggressive that a slow siphon out of the spigot. So, my question is: Is it time to move to the secondary? This was my first SG reading and since its still bubbling occasionally it’s probably not the FG. With all that surface area in the bucket I’m thinking it may be good to transfer a bit early so the headspace will fill with co2 instead of just sitting there with oxygen. I don’t have a carboy so it has to in the secondary bucket. Thanks.

I think it’s safe to move to secondary. I wouldn’t plan on aging it too long in the plastic bucket as it is gas permeable. Plus you can age it in the bottle.

1 Like

I agree with Loopie… And my thinking is… Well… Ah… ummm…
There will be some O2 when moving (racking) yer brew… and if the airlock is still burping a little bit… the yeast are not finished… so transferring now will be the best time… You are hoping the yeast will consume the O2…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Taking the lid off a bucket is much safer than transferring the beer. Whether you need to secondary is a matter of preference and probably none of the ingredients need to be separated from your trub so personally…I’d leave it and continue your process in the fermenter. If you attempt to use a spigot you’d better use a hose and not let it splash into the new bucket and be prepared to take all the trub and yeast from your primary into the second bucket…kind of a waste of time and effort IMHO but it’s your beer.

1 Like

I racked the stout today (with tubing). I didn’t move the trub, put the airlock on. Started getting bubbles again. Hopefully it’ll push out/use up any o2. Things went smooth, no splashing. I’ll update in a few weeks or so when it goes in bottles.

1 Like