Starting with the "Right" equipment

No benefit to dry hopping the fermenter unless your bottling. Dry hop in the keg.

Ive searched dry hopping in keg and am still wondering how all the hops wont get into the beer when you pull a pint?

Putting them in a muslin bag works surprisingly well. You might get a few floaty bits for the first couple pints, but its clear beer after that. I prefer to dry hop in the fermenter though, I just don’t think I get the same bang from the dry hops in a cold keg. Sometimes I’ll top off the keg with an extra ounce or so, but the majority of the dry hop for me goes into the fermenter.

Less aeration issues going to the keg. I’ve done both ways. If your making a hop bomb probably do ther fermenter and the keg.

I might make another pale ale done with Tasty McD’s method (dry hop at tail end of ferment). Not sure if it is specifically why the beer turned out well, but two of my best IPAs were done this way.

Been awhile…

little update of sorts. I’ve brewed 190 gallons so far. Set myself up for kegging. (skipped bottling completely)
Built a temp controller for a full size fridge.(can control temp for 4 7.9gall fermenters)

Made some good investments and some bad ones to.

Gained weight…lol am honing my skills on some lighter beers now.

Cheers. For anyone just getting started, do a lot of reading first and ask the stupid questions you’ll be glad you did on brewday.

Congrats! I do feel it’s prudent to point out, though, that you’re a scant ten gallons away from the legal annual limit of how much you can brew at home with two or more adults in the house. Most states limit this to 200 gallons per year. Whether you care about that or not isn’t any of my business, just wanted to be sure you were aware.

3 Likes

Nice but you should learn to bottle condition. Some styles I still bottle condition.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that if he can brew 60+ GALLONS per month for 3 months, he can probably pick up mixing some priming solution pretty easily :smirk:

I thought that was a misprint. Most of his beer is still fermenting with that time line I would think.

im making a brewdog recipe(Dog Fight) this weekend a rather high abv and plan on bottling 5galls

Hmmm let me think about that… nope I don’t care. I have a brewing partner so im not drinking ALL that beer ll…

I’m sure those 190 gallons were before the new year… you have a whole new quota for this year, better get at it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Its never illegal until you git caught! :dizzy_face:Sneezles61

Just wondering what size batches you make.

last seven brewdays were double 10 gallon days only did 15 yesterday. one was a high gravity ipa.

it looks like the damn lid is ready to blow off the fermentor lol. yes I have a blowoff on it. you can hear it churning away.

My pipeline is pretty backed up now and with the warmer temps coming im sure ill face some new challenges.

Deluxe Starter Kit
5-8 gallon kettle
Immersion Chiller
Hydrometer
Beer Recipe Kits

I am fairly new to homebrewing and started out with the deluxe brewing starter kit (URL below). It has suited me well since I started and you get all of the essentials to make your first beer. I would say start with that and build on it. I have since bought 4 glass 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers. My personal opinion is that these are the best fermenters you can get. Super easy to clean!

I would say that a hydrometer is a good investment and they are pretty cheap. This will help you determine if fermentation has taken place and when it is finished. In addition, with a few calculations, it will tell you the ABV of your beer.

Depending on what size batches you will be doing you should get an appropriate kettle so you don’t have to keep buying them. I started out with a 5 gallon and then bought a 20 gallon for when I plan to move up.

I would definitely say you want an immersion wort chiller for multiple reasons. First, you will need to chill your wort and an ice bath is a pain and takes forever. The immersion chiller is way easier to clean than the other chillers due to the fact that the wort is only touching the outside. Finally, it is the easiest to use without a pump.

Something I wish I would have done was to keep it simple for a little while. I started buying all this upgraded equipment and tried learning it all at the same time and it was just a mess. Beer turned out good but a stressful brew day is rough.

Make sure to look around online for your supplies too. A lot of home brew stores offer good deals at different times. I saved a lot of money shopping from many different sites and my LHBS.

Hope this helps.
Cheers and Happy Brewing.

any pics of your setup? Its definitely a good move going big early on, particularly if you know you want to brew a lot. And brew good beer. The guy I brew with went with a 1/2BBL RIMS system right out of the gate!