Souring in an instapot

Someone gave us an instapot. Ive had some good yogurt made in one. Got me thinking about building up some sour wort or mini mash and adding to a beer. Thoughts?

Wrecking an insta-pot? :joy:^^^^
Well, Iā€™ve never used one soā€¦ I shouldnā€™t comment thenā€¦ :no_mouth:
Sneezles61

Never have I. I eat alot of yogurt so i guess i could use it for that. Its basically a electric pressure cooker with more temperature control as far as i can tell

I was thinking sour some wort then blend it back in. Easily hold the temperature at 90Ā° for a couple days get the pH low

I use the Insta pot several times a week itā€™s keep warm function should be able to do this.
I am a big fan of many of its features. I especially love the I can have a freezer full of stuff and not have to thaw it to make an amazing meal. Having kids to cook for every night when I come home from work itā€™s a blessing. Itā€™s what the microwave tried to pretend it could do when my parents first got one in the 70s.

2 Likes

Wife is curious about ā€˜emā€¦ But sheā€™s afraid to spend some money and not like itā€¦ I just stay out of her way of thinkingā€™ā€¦
Micro wave cooks mainlyā€¦ Well, lets say re-heating coffee and the clock feature are awesomeā€¦ :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Well someone is giving it. Same with the air fryer. Got that for free as also

1 Like

I will assumeā€¦ somewhere down the roadā€¦ a friend will show up with one thats taking up spaceā€¦ THEN my wife will agreeā€¦ Iā€™m not holding me breathā€¦ Ive got the ability to grillā€¦ meat eater stuffā€¦ :grin:
Sneezles61

IstantPot is really useful for grains and dry good, beans and lentils. Itā€™s very good for slow cooked approaches to meat and anything stew related. With the more advanced models you can target on hold a temperature with or with our pressure so in theory you could mash in one.

No reason this wonā€™t work as long as you can keep the temp stable at around 100Ā° so you donā€™t denature your souring source.
Bonus: you can use it to sterile certain equipment. I have an in-line O2 stone as well as carb stones in my fermenter that pop in a pressure cooker to ensure the temps get high enough to kill everything.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got one and use it a LOT. If I could go back Iā€™d get one that can air fry, etcā€¦

1 Like

I bought a Hamilton Beach convection toaster oven and tossed the air fryer in the closet. An air fryer is nothing but a tiny convection oven without a window. I did a side by side with wings fries and bread. Wings and fries came out equal but baking hands down convection toaster oven

When our stove pooped the bedā€¦ We looked at the stoves/ovens with the convection featureā€¦
But then my wife wouldnā€™t let loose of the funds to buyā€¦ Out to the garageā€¦ a meterā€¦ bought new partsā€¦
Does that mean I changed its diaper? :joy:ā€¦
Well, we donā€™t eat fried foods anywaysā€¦ Come think about itā€¦ we cook a pizzaā€¦ perhaps once a week at most?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Speaking of using an instantpot for souring, I have one but have never used it for beer things. Maybe itā€™s time to change that. Iā€™ve never made a sour but am working towards it. A local brewhouse has one on that is so refreshing! Itā€™s like beery lemonade with just the right biteā€¦ :yum: If I can get close to that without going too far Iā€™d be pretty happy.

I just Googled ā€œsouring beer in an instantpotā€ and got a bunch of results so it IS a thing.

1 Like

Speaking of using an instantpot for souring, I have one but have never used it for beer things. Maybe itā€™s time to change that. Iā€™ve never made a sour but am working towards it. A local brewhouse has one on that is so refreshing! Itā€™s like beery lemonade with just the right biteā€¦ :yum: If I can get close to that without going too far Iā€™d be pretty happy.

I just Googled ā€œsouring beer in an instantpotā€ and got a bunch of results so it IS a thing.

Air friers arenā€™t really about frying. The are more about dehydrating in a way that make things crispy as if they were deep fried. They are considered a healthier alternative for who donā€™t eat fried foods.

1 Like

I kinda want this Toaster Oven Air Frier Dehydrater combo now. I used it at my parents house. Weā€™ll get rid of our toaster and the boys can warm up their frozen burritos and pizzas in a manner that will teach them light cooking skills

1 Like

Thats pretty much the same as my Hamilton beach oven only 4 times as expensive :joy: The nice feature about the Hamilton Beech is the the roll top front. It frees up the space in front since the door doesnā€™t take up any space when opened. I use it in my camper and have baked a sourdough bre
ad in it

1 Like

I guess calling ot an air fryer instead of a convection oven demands a premium

Actually i bet you can do a whole BIAB one gallon batch in an instapot. May be a fun thing to do in my camper

2 Likes