Soaking corn before mashing in

Hi All
New to this distilling world and having problems with my corn mash.
I’m using cracked corn and heating the mash to 145-150 F for 1 1/2 hrs. I add the amylase after the mash starts to heat to 145F. Problem is that the corn is not breaking down properly after heating and the corn is still somewhat firm. Could I soak the cracked corn at room temp in a covered bucket for a couple of days to soften the corn and then heat and mash in and add the amylase?
Thanks

No shiners here that I know of but hang in there, you never know because we do have knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks

That might work but you’ll still get some conversion of starches at room temp. How are you grinding the corn?

I’m using a hand grinder

Is it grinding it enough? And is your thermometer accurate? Those temps should gelatinize your corn. Have you checked the gravity of your wash?

I thermometer is accurate and grind is good. I found a site that deals specifically with cracked corn procedures. 3 different heating steps at different temps and temperatures. I’ll give that a try, he really seems to know what he’s talking about.
Thanks

1 Like

Good deal. Let us know what you find. Nice to have another hobby on here!

Check out Crack Corn 1 and Crack Corn 2 on youtube. Very good instructions on mashing in using cracked corn

Cheers

Also again check the gravity of your grist and wash to see if you’re getting full conversion.