Small brew with rice

2 lbs. white long grain… I’ll put through the processor to “shorten” it a bit…
3 gallons well water
1/2 tsp calcium chloride
1 cup Marris Otter
Mash start 120*- half hour…
145* a half hour
175* a half hour…
Then to boil… Once it starts… Put on the lid and turn off the heat
The barley side of it…
16 lbs Pils…
1 MO…
I’ll start at 10 gallons… My starting Gravity is aimed at 1.045… Just the barley should land me close… I really don’t know what to expect from the rice… So again… Just an X-beerment…
Hops shall be simple… NB to the boil… Last moments of the boil Saaz…
34/70…
My water corrections will be done with lemon juice… 5.8 pH… I don’t expect a large amount to correct it… Hasn’t rained here for over 3 months…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

So basicly. You try to create. A Budweiser. Or polar beer

following this as my small pils with flaked maize is less than impressive…

1 Like

You just add the rice. To the. Mash. Or cook them first a bit untill soft

Yeah Wilco…it a rice adjunct brew… Rice has a different mash temp and things associated with that… That’s why I’ll mash it separately then add toward the end of the barley mash… Just playing around…
Why? Because I can… It’s on the same level as trying a decoction mash…
I’ll have to change my volume down to 2 gallons for the rice mash… The kettle is driving that…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

The good ol’ cereal mash. I know you’re playing around but I’ll save my time and use flaked rice, or even rice solids. :wink:

1 Like

Very busy morning…
I’ve got the rice mash in progress… Here’s what I did.
2lbs rice
8 oz crushed MO
1.25 gallons water
1/2 tsp calcium chloride
Calibrate the meter… Ph 5.8…
First step at 115 now
My barley in the basket is 16 lbs Pils
1lbs MO…
I’ll just do step mash too while I tinker with rice mash…

Just checked the basket/barley mash pH…
2tbs calcium
8tbs lemon juice
pH @5.2
Temp at 140* F…
1/2 hour into first step of rice mash… Time to raise it to 148*F… Or there Abouts

Well I’ve left that been at 165*F for a half an hour… Time to boil the rice
…mean while in the barley basket… Just checked my gravity… 1.040… I suspect I’ll surpass my targeted OG… Well, that’s fine… I’ll add water to get back down there… Also turned my pick up tube so I’m not pulling off the bottom of the kettle… On a 20 gallon kettle that’s like … 2 gallons left behind!!!

Just checked my rice mash… Gravity at 1.040!!
Added the 2 together and at 1.046…
I’ll let it recirc for a few more minutes then off to boil land!
Sneezles61

My gravity came in at 1.051… I added 1.75 gallons and ended at 1.046… I’m OK with that…
Couple things not as I planned… or is it a lack of planning…?
Took out lager yeast… I guess the knucklehead who put it in the storage container didn’t put a beer cap on it… The whole kit-n-kaboodle into the trash… And then who also doesn’t have dry lager yeast?
So I’m fermenting with ale yeast… Oohh… :disappointed:
… But if I can, I did brew… And I will have something resembling… you guessed it… BEER!!! :beers: :mask:
Sneezles61

I think when I was playing around doing some complicated mash strategies, I ended up losing some volume to evaporation that I didn’t account for. Ended up with a higher original gravity than I planned.

My variable was rice… I’ve not paid attention to its points per pound equation… It’s the whole craft brewing stigma… “Rice in my brew? Are you crazy”? kinda thing… Well , I made it through… I’m just disappointed I didn’t make time earlier in the week to check up on my yeast situation…
I should change the title…
Sneezles61

Your cooked rice shouldn’t have soaked up much if any of your brewing water since it was hydrated after your cereal mash.

Correct Loopie… I found a gain in OG… So I “stepped” it down to my desired OG…
Sneezles61

Ahhh got you. I’ve learned the hard way several times with yeast so now when I place orders I throw some dry lager and dry ale yeast in as well to keep some on hand.

Oh I did a while ago… But this “unusual” spring caught me off my guard… I’ll need to replenish my stash in a week or so… Aren’t peaches going to be available starting mid of July? Hence a part of small brews… Swapping out one grist for another… Or fermentables as far as that goes… :beers:
Sneezles61