Secondary in the keg

I think this may have been mentioned before but I want to throw it out there. I understand the need for secondary for certain applications. In this particular case I am making mead and I have to transfer to a secondary for a few months. I don’t have a glass vessel and really don’t want to have one due to the pain of cleaning a carboy and the hazards of glass. The big mouth is easier to clean but from all the reviews, I think I cannot trust the ability of the cover to seal out air. It looks as though I can get a new keg for near the price of a glass vessel, and I am certain that will seal properly. Is there any downside to using a keg as a secondary vessel?

I will restate. I can get a reconditioned keg for near the price of a glass carboy. I said new in my original post, but I meant new to me. As in, another. My LHBS has them for $47. NB has carboys for $35.

It’s dark, oxygen free, and airtight. Can’t ask for a better secondary vessel. Only reason I’d be hesitant with a mead is you’ll have a hard time determining when it’s clear, or its its still dropping enough fine lees that it needs to be racked again…minor inconvenience though.

1 Like

I have been fermenting in a keg for a few brews now and I am getting comfortable with doing that. I did get extra connectors. Mainly, the gas side, I put a length of tubing on the BARBED end of it ,then into a growler with water…… yer air lock… The liquid side connector ALSO barbed, I put a short piece of tubing so I can gently blow what ever happened to collect at the bottom out. I hook up the CO2 tank, turn yer out put pressure so low it won’t put any gas into the keg, then I put the liquid side into a 1/2 gallon measure, very slowly start adding the pressure, maybe about 2 PSI’s and once the liquid starts running turn off the gas…. Takes a bit to get the hang of how long it keeps running…. Sneezles61