Sake smell?

I’m making sake for the very first time. I’m 2 days in, only rice, Koji, and starter; no yeast. And I’m reasonably sure I killed it. It’s developed a noticeable ammonia odor.

I’m following the Bob Taylor instructions which calls for the Moto to be stirred every 12 hrs for 48 hrs before dropping the temperature and adding the yeast. I suspect I didn’t do a good enough job sanitizing my mixing spoon at least one time, but also see the repeated opening of the bucket as a prime opportunity for coffee contamination. Either of these sound likely culprits or something else altogether? Is stirring every 12 of the first 48 hrs frivalous?

Thanks!

I’ve only made sake once and I stirred as well. I used a stainless steel rod that I kept in Starsan. The Koji does have a distinct smell when it’s working. As long as the rice is getting slimy and not black or grey mold is growing I bet you are fine. The big question is what yeast you will be pitching and can you maintain the temperatures needed to keep it happy.
I decided I couldn’t keep traditional Sake yeast happy and use Kviek Ale yeast instead. It worked and I got Sake but it’s a little too sweet for my taste

Thanks for the feedback. I am using Wyeast sake #9 liquid yeast; pulled the plug to do a reset before getting to the point of adding it. For temperature control, I bought a used mini fridge and a better thermostat/controller to keep it 50F when not at room temp.

A friend that brews beer also scoffed at me trying to use One Step for the sanitizer and pushed me to buy some StarSan.

Brewing is all new to me so hitting the learning curve. I appreciate the help

Whatever you do, do NOT attempt carbon filtration your first time around. I ended up with a milky grey sake that I’m letting settle out.

Going with bentonite particles after one of the fermintation cycles