Ready to bottle in just over two weeks?

Hi, this is my second homebrew. I did the NB Extra Pale Ale but added 2 oz Cascade at week two. Decided not to rack to secondary, just added hops to primary. Fermentation had been quiet for a week. Initial SG 1.032 at 80 degrees, SG at two weeks when I added the hops 1.006 at 79 degrees (live in FL). I only wanted to leave contact with hops for three days then plan to dose with 5.3 oz priming sugar and bottle. That means from brew day to bottling day will only be 17 or 18 days. Is that going to be too fast? Should I leave it longer (hops are not contained but I’m not harvesting yeast) before bottling? Also I know my temps are high but don’t know how to change that. I did use 23g SafAle US-05 that has fermentation temp range 64-82. Any advice welcome.

That timeframe does not seem unreasonable, especially if you are down to 1.006 already. One thing you might want to look into for simple temp control is a swamp cooler setup. I bought a basic Rubbermaid tub that I set my carboy in and then change out ice bottles twice per day in the summertime. I typically fill it to just over halfway up the carboy to keep the temp sticker above the water. It keeps the fermometer in the mid 60’s pretty easily, and I can vary the temp by the size of the ice bottle and frequency of exchange.

Also, if you did the extract version, the LME containers make great ice bottles!

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Thanks! I was trying to think of a way to ice down the whole carboy. I’m going to give this a try next go around.

Or there’s the Kviek yeast. :sunglasses:

1 Like