Pre chiller idea

I really want to buy a thread counter so that I can accurately know what to order online when I get in these situations. My method is to order a salvo of what I think I need and then above and below. Then if I cannot return the misses end up in the ever growing parts cabinet.

1 Like

I have done the same thing in the past, that is why I had so many pieces I could try. I don’t have a thread counter but I have some decent experience working in machine shops and similar places, so I usually have a good idea of whats going on. Unfortunately these fittings look like they weren’t meant to be easily mated, more like you were meant to buy the same manufacturer’s parts to make a connection in order to drum up more business. It doesn’t meet the thread requirements for npt, metric/DN, garden hose, or sink faucet.

But, I think if you buy a thread counter it would be a very useful tool for you to move forward with. It could save some money and frustration for sure.

1 Like

Applauding you Mr. blue… You’ll find the crafty HVAC out fit to resurrect that gizmo! Sneezles61

I’m intrigued you’re having such a hard time finding connections that mate up. They both look like compression fittings to me. I worked for the power company for many years and spent time in a steam plant. We used lots of Swagelock compression fittings and if it’s Swagelock, the nuts and ferrules should be available somewhere. Got any plumber friends or folks that work in an industrial setting? They most certainly get visited by salespeople they could show this to that could hook you up. Out of curiosity, is the male end of the brass fitting NPT?

I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of it!

I read back and didn’t see it so I’ll ask. You mentioned it was used so do you know what material your chiller has been exposed to? Just thinking about semiconductors and what potentially could be hanging out in there.

So the 4 compression fittings aren’t npt, but I never took the other end out. I know it has a good seal with the Teflon tape so I don’t want to mess with that. Especially since no matter what, the SS ends are welded on so I would need to find a mate for those anyways.

I found a plumbing supply store that might be able to help, going to see them tomorrow morning. The problem with the compression connector is that you still need a special fitting on your hose to mate with it… Almost like a ferrule or nipple. You can’t just slide tubing into the compression end, it won’t hold.

I do not know exactly what went through this coil in the past. At the time of its use, I was only involved in software for the project, so there were some processes and instruments that I was not privy too. I know there were some chemicals involved in the process I certainly wouldn’t want inside my beer (helium, argon, etc). Luckily, when I thought this was a simple SS coil and not a CFC, I was only planning on running the return water from my IC through this. I know it’s not as great as running wort through the CFC, but it’s safer and it will do the job. Maybe I will eventually find a way to clean it out entirely, but for now it won’t touch beer

1 Like

1 Like