Pre chiller idea

Couldn’t you use a siphon and gravity

You can use it as part of your super cooler on the way in.

I suppose I could. I’m super paranoid about sanitation and running the wort through, especially on subsequent brews. Also, this coil has been sitting in dust, dirt, the elements, cobwebs… It could get messy and it worries me

Now you’ve got some fun options! S S counterflow!
Now you find out what silicone tubing best melds with your coil… The inner tubing is the one you gonna use, right? Sneezles61

I’m working on finding tubing and fittings for both sets of ports right now. It was not made for home brewing, so it’s got some funky fittings welded on right now (I think they’re metric) that I need to find mates for

Yep, when I crank the flow down, it cools the water much more effectively. Less water usage.

I agree that would help, but I’m already conserving water pretty well. I’m trying to keep my water usage at the same level but increase overall efficiency.

I can’t find any connectors that will fit the welded-on pieces. They look to be either 1/2" or 15mm, but the TPI is weird for what I’m used to seeing. I’ve been reading around and it may be something that allows for me to run tubing straight into the grip of the connector, and tightening it down would clamp down on the hose for a secure connection (like a cord grip). Not sure, havent tested it yet… But that would be nice. Otherwise I couldn’t really use the entire apparatus without destroying it and rebuilding

Another thing I’ve learned today is the chiller works faster if you don’t run hot water through it.:disappointed:

4 Likes

Hose thread is different than pipe thread. Man have I messed that up enough times in my life.
Swap out using clear tubing and hose clamps.

Oops! Not done that one yet myself.

Yep I know they’re different. I’ve gone through various fittings in my collection and nothing fits just yet. Seems to be more threads than normal, even more than the threads on a sink faucet. I will take a photo later and show you what I’m working with

1 Like

That would be my question… Actually uncoil a half a foot and use a plumbers tube cutter to remove those mean, horrible ends… Then its like starting new! :hugs:Sneezles61

Here are some photos of one end, both ends are the same. I don’t necessarily have a lot of real estate to demolish and rebuild, so I’m hoping to find a connector that I can work with

The brass fitting looks like hose thread and the silver fitting appears to be a compression fitting.

Both fittings are actually the same size, same threading and same compression style fitting. But, the compression needs a special swagelok hose fitting to make it “mate”. My hope is to find a hose barb or even a ball valve if necessary… Anything that will fit and allow me to connect

I’d suggest a stub with a hose fitting and one you can clamp a silicone tube on to mate up with the swagelocks. Looking at it from a here it’s a pretty simple solution. Then again, I’m two DIAPs in. I’d also suggest getting rid of the brass for stainless as dissimilar metals create a problem.

Since it may not work for you as is, use an oxy-acetylene setup to gently heat the fittings so you can remove them… Then you are able to convert to your standard fittings… Do you know, what was the apparatus that gizmo came off of? Perhaps then, you can look it up and get more info? Sneezles61

Unfortunately I don’t have a torch setup, so if I am forced to disassemble it would be with an angle grinder and reassemble with a mig welder. But, since it’s stainless, it would be a big hassle so that’s my last resort. My goal is to find a hose barb that would screw onto the threaded pipe, replacing the compression cap.

My dad and I used to be in business together. We had a customer who used a lot of chemicals and pressure to create semiconductor crystals. They went out of business and left a lot of equipment in our facility. I wasn’t yet into home brewing when this happened. We kept their stuff in case they ever wanted it back. Flash forward 6 years, I’m now well into home brewing and I remembered my dad still had this SS coil, so I took it from him and here we are.

TL;DR it’s from a custom piece of equipment, it was definitely used for heat exchanging, but I can’t trace it back to a manufacturer or ask anyone about it because the company doesn’t exist anymore

Maybe you could take it to a large plumbing supply and they can outfit you with the right connections.

1 Like

Oooh that’s a good idea. A plumbing store could maybe even do the welding and torch work too. I will start looking for one

3 Likes