Portable keg setup

Looking for a way to transport some beer to gathering that doesn’t require a full kegs worth. New 2.5 gallon or smaller kegs are same price as new 5 gallon kegs. Something like uKeg just seems too expensive. Anyone have a portable way to serve that is cost effective for maybe 1-2 gallons?

Me got 2 of these growlers. With a tap. Works with co2 catridge. The growler holds 1 gallon beer. Has a co2 gauge and tap. Keeps beer cold for long time. So me off to birthday party. Will them up got my own beer

Why can’t you just bring a half empty keg? That or just fill a case of bottles. I have one of those old wooden cola cases makes a nice presentation

1 Like

Maybe just buy one of those mini kegs (1.3 gal.). Drink the beer and then reuse the keg for homebrew. I just had one of Hofbrau Oktoberfest last week. It was like $20.

1 Like

I have one already actually. I never thought about refilling it even though I’ve seen they sell them. Looks like I need a couple replacement pieces.

Has anyone used these before? Not sure I’ve seen anyone use them or see any videos on using them.

There’s some videos on how to reuse them. Check YouTube. I’m planning to eventually use my hofbrau one. The replacement bungs cost about a dollar. I’ve already got a couple of them.

1 Like

I have a Bell’s Oberon one from a few years before I started brewing and wanted to save it because it looked neat. Washed it out but removed both the vent and spout part and tossed them. I looked quick but didn’t see that they make replacement ones.

I think they just sell the replacement bung with air vent but not the spout.

IIRC @dmtaylo2 might have used these. Perhaps he can provide some insight.

Thought there was a plas-shtic bag in side to keep the brew fresh…? Sneezles61

I built my own 5-liter system out of used Heineken mini-kegs and a bicycle tire valve a few years ago, but I don’t use it anymore. Website with pictures showing how all this was done seems to be down at the moment, if it comes back remind me later and I’ll provide a link. If I were to do this today, shoot… I think I still might even ask Santa for a uKeg this Christmas. But yes, they are way too expensive really. Your best shot honestly is probably just a standard growler or two, kept in a cooler with some ice packs. That’s pretty standard, albeit unluxurious or showy.

EDIT: Aha, here’s my link:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21461&hilit=heineken

1 Like

If you are really frugal, you can get a $15 corny keg screw on attachment which will fit on 24 ounce mountain dew bottles. I say mountain dew because they really carbonate the dew a lot and it can take the pressure. After washing the bottles, I squeeze it to vent the air then pressurize it with CO2 to the same pressure as the what the keg is hooked up to. I connect the beer tap using a gas fitting on the end and put it on the dew bottle. Then slowly unscrew the fitting on the dew bottle so it leaks gas a little. The beer will flow into it under pressure so it will not foam. Fill it to the top over a bucket as you will drip some beer out. Let the dew bottle sit a minute then quickly unscrew the $15 connection and screw on the plastic dew top. Do it quick as there will be some foaming. I have done this and kept beer over a week like this in frig and it was properly carbonated. One trick I found is to over carb the beer prior to doing this.

That said, my daughter then bought frugal me an insulated growler for fathers day. Thats what I use now. :smile:

1 Like