Pinot noir sour

Pitched the jug at 80deg figured the lacto would like that.

It’s pretty common to add maltodextrine to secondary… you could try that if SG gets too low.

I could get some of that or maybe steep some flaked wheat into a paste and add that

The other thing you could try is just pull some turbid runnings from your next mash and add that to secondary. Lots of ways to get extra starches in there.

1 Like

Ok this saison is fermented out. I ll rack it to my oak barrel that has been soaking some rye whiskey for maybe 4 or 5 days. After that I’ll steep some flaked wheat and add to a carboy with the saison ansd hopefully the lacto and Bret will work on that.

1 Like

I’m mashing actually steeping some flaked wheat and going to add the “wort” to the secondary of this beer to feed the lacto and Bret. Actually it’s a tertiary since I racked it to a barrel already. Tasting along the way. I’ll get back to this later

After the first rack the beer tasting of the saison yeast but was fairly bland tasting. The sample from the barrel had a bit more character with a very slight barrel Tang, couldn’t really tasty the yeast anymore and the rye whiskey was there but probably not noticable if you didn’t know it was there. The FG was .006 out of the barrel .009 after adding the wheat wort. After I mashed the wheat flakes I brought the liquid to a boil which thickened it, not sure if I should have done that. I saved some samples to test the pH but the batteries were dead. I saved the samples going to run out for batteries

So what did you get for a pH measurement? No worries, sours develop at their own time frame.

Well I changed the batteries and it still didn’t work. I’m just going to taste it as I go. It’s starting to get some bubbles on top. Doesn’t look like krausen. I’m hoping that’s souring process starting.

The pH meter all of a sudden started working. I need to go and get some distilled water to calibrate it. It is aquiring a slight sour taste. The sample I pulled from the top has a slight thick viscousity I’m assuming is the protiens. Looks like a stratification devolping. If this expierimt doesn’t go south this may turn out well. Sitting at 74deg internal temperature by the way

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Sneezles61

You might want to drop the temp a bit, maybe mid 60’s. Above 70°F and you’re in acetobacter range. And it’s slimy on top. Any oxygen exposure, or is it anaerobic?

Edit - opening for sampling introduces enough oxygen for acetic acid. Not a biggie, but you might want to pour a bit of club soda in the top to get the oxygen out of there once you’ve tested.

I don’t believe any or much O2 got in from sampling but either way I capped the carboy with carbonated beer run down the side and let the foam come up through the neck and capped on the foam with the bung and airlock. I moved it to a cooler place. There is positive pressure on the airlock so I don’t think anything is getting in. The viscous layer may be the wheat wort I boiled which like I mentioned thickened a bit from the heat

My wheat’s protein layer sinks to the bottom or at least that’s what I thought was happening. I just did a 70% dark wheat and did not notice any thick top layer.

Well this was flaked wheat I steeped it and then boiled the liquid which thickened it

Ok back in. Figured I’d give it a little taste I put it back n the keg with 2 bottles of the Pinot noir back in January. Haven’t carbonated it just sealed it up and let it sit. I could taste the wine at kegging but not so much now. This has really turned into a nice beer . I tasted it today of course it was warm and only the natural carbonation I think we have a winner here. Wish I had someone to share with.

The one I made, a Cab not Pinot, is getting better with age as well. I’ve drunk a few warm as well. Cold the mouthfeel is a lot better I feel

1 Like

How much wine did you blend in?

It was a gallon wine kit added for a 5 gallon batch.

You didn’t call me… Sneezles61