Orange Blossom Mead

Well I see a Mead competition posted. Although this would not be ready to enter.
I have orange Blossom honey and orange concentrate and I finally got some Mead yeast. I think it needs something else maybe raisons or clove. Or both. Thoughts?

Just raisons I can add spices anytime. I’ll wait for all your input. .1090

2 Likes

I’ve made mead once so can’t speak to the subject. I do want to follow this though. That just looks amazing!

1 Like

I agree with you on the aspect of adding spice. May need additional nutrients to ferment out to dry. Mead takes patience!

Yeah I added some nutrient and I’ll add more when I rack. I used Lavilan 71B

Krausen and raisins rising actually .098 at 60°

Racked it after a couple of days

No more krausen but very fizzy. I’m thinking put this in beer bottles with alot of carbonation for a summer drink.

1 Like

If it’s good I’ll do a pineapple mead. Maybe Pina colada but I’m getting ahead of myself

Jus an update. This is coming along .I’ve racked it twice more. It’s not clear yet I think this will take awhile. Much of the pulp has dropped out. I added one clove to the gallon and I think that will be enough. I can just taste it in the last sample.

And how is it doing now? Is mead kinda like wine… Takes some time to come of age?
Sneezles61

Well I bottled it a couple weeks ago and dropped 1 clove in the bottle. Had one bottle and it was just ok. I’m thinking to age 2 and the other 2 uncork and add some sugar. I think it might be nice spritzy. Has an orange juice quality to it not super orangie but a touch. It’s not clear so a year or so will make the difference I think.

1 Like

2 Likes

Well its cleared up nicely and tastes very nice. A sipper. Nice light clove. The orange is in the background not even sure i taste it. The aroma also light spice. I have to root around and see if i carbonated any bit it is nice still. Im drinking it chilled so some condensation on the glass

3 Likes

Would that be a good candidate for a small keg? forget it in the keezer for a month and give it a sample?
Sneezles61

No it needs a year to age. Im finishing it up tonight and the taste is screaming “holiday warmer”

2 Likes