No more fermentation activity after transferring to secondary fermenter

This is my first batch that I am making. After two weeks in my primary I transferred the beer to a secondary fermenter I noticed that the bubbles from the air lock have completely stopped. How to I know that there is enough yeast in there to get co2 after bottling. Is it common for the bubbles to stop after transferring.

Might be finished. Did you test the gravity. What are you brewing. I don’t bother with a secondary just leave it in the primary for three weeks about.

Sometimes there can be a problem having enough residual yeast for carbonation when a beer over 1.080 OG is bulk aged in a secondary vessel for 4 to 6 months. Other than that a lot of yeast stays in suspension even though it looks like the beer has cleared.

Your fermentation may have completed in the primary therefore no more CO2 was being produced. The CO2 will naturally come out of solution over about a week or so after the fermentation. Racking to the secondary vessel accelerated the off gassing.

Most ales would not absolutely need a secondary. Some brewers always use a secondary. Some brewers very rarely use a secondary. It is a personal preference that comes with experience and the style of beer being brewed.

If you decide to continue the use of a secondary vessel it would be best to take Specific Gravity readings with a hydrometer to verify the fermentation is complete before racking. Racking before fermentation is complete can stall the fermentation. Stable SG readings a few days apart indicate the fermentation is complete with almost any ale yeast being used.

Welcome to the NB forum.

Don’t worry about it. A secondary isn’t really for completing fermentation. It is more to clear your beer and remove it from dead yeast in the primary. With the exceptions of long term bulk aging, adding fruit or dry hopping you will find the secondary is not necessary in most cases.

A hydrometer is a good and inexpensive investment. Most any kit beer will give you the expected OG (original gravity) and FG (final gravity). You can track how the beer is doing with it. Once you reach what the FG should be or what you think it should be by taking readings for a few days it will show if it is done. Three consecutive same readings will mean your beer is done. You can then bottle or keg if you want or let it settle more.