New equipment

Usually we get some new blood this time o year. Any new brewers out there with new equipment? We are a friendly lot. Sign in and say hello even if you have no questions.

4 Likes

No new equipment here but lots o fun brewing beer.

2 Likes

I bought another SS CFC as one in the summer was just taking too long for knockout than what I like. I run them in tandem. Now just waiting on a company to send me some SS stock I ordered 2 weeks ago…. :rage:

3 Likes

Same here. Did replace the beer lines. Replace the transfer tubings clean my pumps. Took grain mill apart. Yesterday it was cleaning day. Satur day brew day. Still thinking what i shall brew.

I finally got a Tilt that I am excited to try out this weekend. :sunglasses:

:beers:
Rad

Hey Loopie, I’m with Rad… putting on the sunglasses to have a look-see!! :sunglasses:
My that is shiny!
Sneezles61

I just picked up a new mash tun and a Riptide pump, trying the new system out this weekend!

4 Likes

Do tell us how the riptide pump works… I’d like to get one soon… Mine is squealing… alot… I do oil it
Sneezles61

1 Like

I was running a chugger pump and had nothing with issues. Then, after about 10 years of use, the impeller imploded. I ordered a new one and continued to have the same issues. It also didn’t have much power so once I pumped through my blichmann therminator then out to the whirlpool port, it barely moved the wort.

I did some initial setup and testing of the riptide and I LOVE IT. Here’s a video of it going through my blichmann therminator then out to whirlpool. It’s also real quiet, easy to prime and I love having the adjustable flow and off switch right on the pump. Cleaning is also SUPER easy. 10 thumbs up.

1 Like

You need to buy stock in rubber for all the valve handles. Can hardly tell but there are 7 TC valves in total on the thing. That way I can store cleaner, sanitizer, or boiling water in each one with no tubing.
After brewing I run PBW through them for 15min. Shut the valves while I CIP the BK for 15mins. Once completely done with the BK I boil water in it and run it through the CFCs to rinse and pasteurize. Works well!
Boy looking at this thread there are a ton of acronyms lol

2 Likes

Are you electric?
I can see all the TC connector faces… What do you use for hoses? Just asking as I see a flow site glass in there too!
I have 2 ways to watch my chilling temps… The RTD probe on the kettle, and then an old circle face on the output of the chiller… The one on the kettle takes a while to change and I believe its because of the mass of SS…
The one on the chiller is quite accurate… well, At least I can verify it with my thermapen… Turn the volume (output) down with a valve and I can get to mid 70’s… WHEW!! 20 years ago it was an 8 gallon kettle… :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

100% electric, even down to my induction burner for starters. For hoses I use 5/8” braided silicone tubing, all TC connections. The sight glass is used to not only monitor the flow but also my inline O2 system. Last brew my O2 tank ran out and with out the sight glass I would have never known! Now with both CFCs I’m able to knockout 10gal batches in 15mins at 60°.

1 Like

Thanks for the invite. Been lurking for couple weeks. Upgrading to an Ss Brewtech 3.5 fermenter and kettle in the next week. Currently using a 3-gallon Brew Demon and stainless stock pot for extract brewing. Poured my 1st batch (Bourbon Barrel Porter) after a couple years of inactivity. Seems like I am on track to getting it right after a couple of failed starts. 18 days in the fermenter and 2 weeks of bottle conditioning (Fizz tabs). Carbonation seemed adequate with distinct fizz (better than my previous efforts). I soaked the oak bits in a couple ounces of George Dickel TN whiskey, so not much to kill my fermentation. Overall good taste w/ oak flavor hints. Likely to skip this for next batch because I just like unenhanced Porter. Also observed that the head faded quickly in the glass so planning to remedy this with addition of the Carapils malt next time. Rum Runner Stout currently fermenting and will be last batch in the Brew Demon. Planning to convert it to cider brewing for my non-beer drinking friends. I am looking forward to more brewing and open experimentation w/ steeping grains. Wondering if there is a database for the grain bill associated with the NB extract kits to use as a starting point for a little mix and match.

4 Likes

Thank you for joining the conversation!
If you look at the kits, they’ll give you a place to look at the details…
Getting yer head wrapped around the points per pound of malt extract to a gallon of water will help you adjust how much to use for a desired ABV… The specialty malts add the color and/or flavor… And that gets a bit tricky… The best way to find out is to brew…
We are here when ever you need to ask questions… many talented brewers right here!
Sneezles61