Need Brewing Equipment Upgrades

Hey there. I have a basic set of brewing equipment (primary and secondary fermenter, locks, brewpot, siphon, bottling equipment, etc). I’m thinking of purchasing additional equipment that helps with brewing. Already on my list are a wort chiller and a device for measuring specific gravity. Any other ideas? Anything that makes brewing easier/the end product better? TIA.

Fermentation temp control would be my first upgrade if you don’t have it, after your wort chiller. Other upgrade would be kegging system.

When you get your hydrometer, make sure to buy a hydrometer test jar. The plastic tube they come in is too narrow. I would skip getting a refractometer yet. That might be something to think about down the road.

If you would like to get away from the kitchen stove, a propane burner is nice.

Brewing America has a beautiful hydrometer…
Electric brewing system… 220 volt
Fermentation control…
Kegging system…
Get those under control… then th pH stuff…
Sneezles61

Some simple stuff to get would maybe be a spray bottle to keep starsan. A bottle washer that screws to your faucet. If i bottled I’d also get a bottle tree maybe. A stick thermometer and a brew bag for partial mashing or biab.

For me, the first upgrade I made at your stage is a kegging system ie carbon dioxide tank, regulator and keg(s). Then you need to build a kegerator. This was to save time. If you keg, go with a system that has two regulators as this allows you to keg at different pressures. For improving quality, agree temperature control during fermentation is the next priority per Palmer. Dual stage controller with a thermowell to measure temperature directly. Oh if you don’t have a book on brewing, how to brew by palmer is helpful for improving quality.

A Tilt hydrometer is the single best purchase I have made to simplify my brewing

I have not bothered with my standard hydrometer since purchasing it.
A wort chiller is a higher priority IMO

Also this bottle washer was an impulse purchase for me at my LHBS but it’s one of my favorite things

Yeah i keg but can’t say it simplified my life or brewing really

Budget? Experience and time make better beer!!

1 Like