NB refractometer?

I see that NB has a refractometer calculator. Is this a good source. All I did was check my numbers through the refactometer and plugged in the numbers. This calculator seemed straight forward. I think I tried Brewers Friend calculator the first time around.

Never used it. Is it for correcting the FG reading? I either don’t worry about it or use a hydrometer. :sunglasses: I’ll check it out though, thanks!

Do you a hydrometer/ When is it appropriate to use a refractometer?

I use my refractometer during the brewing process and for my OG reading. I know people use them for FG too but they need to be corrected on you have alcohol present. Easy to use. Do you have one or are you thinking of getting one?

I think every calculator is the same in this case. I use my refractometer mostly before fermentation and pre-boil for readings. Will also take samples during fermentation and use the calculator. Final gravity reading is done with a hydrometer but also check against my refractometer to see how close they are.

1 Like

^^^ exactly… How ever you do take yer readings, make sure they are on the same page for calibrations…
Brew day= Refractometer
Finishinig= Hydrometer
Although as of lately I’ve stopped taking finishing readings because I have a Tilt temp/hydrometer gizmo…
Sneezles61

Not to beat a dead horse, you should use both?

You could use the refractometer to check the stabilization of the FG but the end FG would be easier to check with the hydrometer IMO

I use a refractometer to monitor the boil as well as to tell how effective my sparging of brew in a bag grain (ie when to stop sparging).
If it looks like I will be under for the starting gravity I either bump up the boil or in one rare case add DME to compensate. Reason is
its quick easy and only requires a small sample. small sample particularly good during boil because no cooling required.
Disadvantage is that even with no alcohol content, a refractometer is not as
accurate as hydrometer. Refractometers are only ~100% accurate for gravity measurement with pure sucrose. Other sugars, they just
are not as accurate. Here is a link from fisher scientific which covers this topic

During fermentation, I use a hydrometer due to alcohol impact. Yes you can estimate it with a refractometer, but its just not
as accurate. A correlation exists but its not perfect so refractometer is not as good a measuring device particularly when alcohol
is present.

Bottomline is that a refractometer is an indicator of gravity measurement. It is more accurate when alcohol is not present but
gravity measured directly with a hydrometer is more accurate.

1 Like

I wasn’t aware it didn’t measure no fermentable sugar. If thatis correct it is pretty useless as a brewing tool. The refractometer is useful for checking sugar content in sap and juice in grapes.

thank you all

After reading the paper, the factor is so small, I won’t change anything in my process… And my refractometer and Tilt are the same readings on brew day… I haven’t confirmed the ending with my new Brew America finishing hydrometer to the Tilt …yet… Verify… verify… then the comfort level goes up exponentially. :sunglasses:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Im not that anal about gravity any more. I guess if your selling the beer you need to be exact. 6.5% or 6.8% i could care less

3 Likes

Interestingly the accuracy of ABV on a beer container is not always accurate with what is inside. The laws and procedures for labeling take time and approval so are very often printed before the beer is even brewed. Not uncommon for it to be a few points off in either direction.

2 Likes

Just like home brewing

1 Like

I’m not THAT concerned also… More of how is my brewing process doing and about whats the ABV… Nothing more… nothing less
Sneezles61

Uhhh 450 North mmmm :face_exhaling: