Moose Drool

Has anyone tried Moose Drool Brown Ale? It’s made by the Big Sky brewing co. in Montana. Friend of mine gave me some (he said that “with a name like moose drool, it’s got to be good”) and I loved it. Now I want to find a recipe for something close. Any ideas?

Really? On some level you must be pulling our collective legs…if not , our site host here, northern brewer has an amazing kit for their version called Caribou Slobber. Very good and extract and all grain kits available.

I have a recipe that was in BYO several years ago. I’ve brewed it a couple of times and it’s reasonably close. This is an extract recipe so if you’re an all grain brewer you’ll have to convert it. That’s what I did.

Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale clone

(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains); OG = 1.052 FG = 1.013; IBU = 26 SRM = 38 ABV = 5.1%

Ingredients
2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) light dried malt extract
3.75 lbs. (1.7 kg) light liquid malt extract
1 lb. 2 oz. (0.5 kg) crystal malt (75 °L)
5.0 oz. (0.14 kg) chocolate malt
0.33 oz. (9.4 g) black malt
6 AAU East Kent Goldings (60 mins) (1.2 oz./34 g at 5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Liberty hops (5 mins)
0.5 oz. (14 g) Willamette hops (5 mins)
Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) or White Labs WLP002 (English Ale) yeast

Step by Step:

Steep grains at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil wort for 70 minutes, adding hops at times indicated. Reserve liquid malt extract for final 15 minutes of the boil. Ferment beer at 70 °F (21 °C).

Thanks for the answers. I’ve Never tried to make beer before, so wasn’t sure if the Caribou Slobber would close to what I wanted.

Coloradobrewer,
Thanks for the recipe. Will be giving this a try in the future.

Living in Missoula MT I may be a little biased, but I absolutely love Moose Drool. Brown ales can really vary (too sweet, too strong, etc) but Moose Drool is really smooth with just the right amount of flavor to not be really overwhelming. With all the microbrews popping up in Montana, Moose Drool is still the most recongizable MT beer.

Thanks for posting the recipe. I have just started home brewing (thanks to my love of MT micros) and will have to try this sometime. Considering I live 2 miles from the Big Sky brewery, itll be easy to go get a fresh sample of Moose Drool to compare!

I’ve had Moose Drool before and I agree, it’s pretty good. I’ve had better brown ales, but MD is up there. While I’ve never done the Caribou Slobber recipe, if you do a search here on NB you’ll see it gets great reviews.

Give it a try and then swing back around and let us know what you think of it.

The boys (and gals) at Big Sky brew some really great beers. Moose Drool is a solid Brown and tastes better as it warms a few degrees above fridge temp.

And don’t forget their IPA. Very tasty.

[quote=“Grizz Talker”]The boys (and gals) at Big Sky brew some really great beers. Moose Drool is a solid Brown and tastes better as it warms a few degrees above fridge temp.

And don’t forget their IPA. Very tasty.[/quote]

Good point re- letting it warm up a bit. It’s also available in cans.

Their IPA is killer. Their wheat beer is also quite nice and available in cans.

[quote=“s2y”][quote=“Grizz Talker”]The boys (and gals) at Big Sky brew some really great beers. Moose Drool is a solid Brown and tastes better as it warms a few degrees above fridge temp.

And don’t forget their IPA. Very tasty.[/quote]

Good point re- letting it warm up a bit. It’s also available in cans.

Their IPA is killer. Their wheat beer is also quite nice and available in cans.[/quote]

Those cans are river friendly…mmmmm, Moose Drool on the Madison during the bikini hatch…oh yeah!
:wink:

Bump…while in Michigan on a short vacation had the pleasure to have both Big Sky Brewing’s Moose Drool and Deschute’s Black Butte Porter, two very solid beers. Both on draft, and both impossible to get at present in the Sunshine State.

Makes me want to brew something like this, relatively low ABV’s but not insubstantial. Summer is not the best time here for something like Dragon’s Milk or other Imperial Browns/Stouts/Porters…